Questions about little giant still air

pinkfeather

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
CT
Hi Everyone!

I have a little giant still air incubator. I was wondering what temperature and humidity it sould be at. I was trying to google it but I get a million different answers (from 98 to 102 degrees).
barnie.gif
I have a atomatic egg tuner too. Any suggestions? I am going to hatch bantam eggs.

Thanks

A still air LG should run at 101 degrees. Humidity 50% during setting increased to65% during hatching

I say use a wiggler at 99.5-100.5. My LG is all over the place with air temps but my wiggler temps stay pretty even.

What's a wriggler?? I have tested it before and it stayed steady at 99.5. It has been running a couple of days, but then I saw bunch of different temps and wasn't sure what to keep it at (just trying to keep it around 100). It's at 100.2 now.

Thanks

Hi,

A lot of people on the forum use a child's toy called a "water wiggler" to simulate the internal temperature of an egg inside the incubator. It's nice but not absolutely necessary if you have a good thermometer. For instance, Brinsea makes a nice liquid in glass thermometer that is absolutely accurate.

You should measure the air temperature at egg height (top of the egg). This is particularly important if you have a turner, because temp can vary several degrees from bottom to top in a still air. It should be 101 degrees at egg height in the turner.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The egg turner will raise the temps about 1 degree so you need to acct for that. It is good to use a surge protector to help with night time temp spikes too.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your answers! We have a good thermomator that's at egg hieght. I tried to turn it up to 101 but it jumped to 104! Yikes! Good thing I don't have any eggs in there (yet). Why would a surge protector help with the night time temps?

Thanks

I tried to turn it up to 101 but it jumped to 104! Yikes !

Several people have mentioned before that the LG temp. control is a little too sensitive. It's a good idea to get it running, and stable for a few days before setting eggs.

Voltage spikes shouldn't affect mechanical incubators at all. They can wreak havoc on electronic controls tho.

Either way, a surge protector is a cheap and sensible precaution.​

Back
Top Bottom