Questions about little giant still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinkfeather, Mar 22, 2008.

1. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hi Everyone!

I have a little giant still air incubator. I was wondering what temperature and humidity it sould be at. I was trying to google it but I get a million different answers (from 98 to 102 degrees).[​IMG] I have a atomatic egg tuner too. Any suggestions? I am going to hatch bantam eggs.

Thanks

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A still air LG should run at 101 degrees. Humidity 50% during setting increased to65% during hatching

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I say use a wiggler at 99.5-100.5. My LG is all over the place with air temps but my wiggler temps stay pretty even.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have to run my LG still air at 103.5 at the egg tops to get my wiggler to read 100.5.

Can you test it a few days first?

5. pinkfeather

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    What's a wriggler?? I have tested it before and it stayed steady at 99.5. It has been running a couple of days, but then I saw bunch of different temps and wasn't sure what to keep it at (just trying to keep it around 100). It's at 100.2 now.

Thanks

6. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Hi,

A lot of people on the forum use a child's toy called a "water wiggler" to simulate the internal temperature of an egg inside the incubator. It's nice but not absolutely necessary if you have a good thermometer. For instance, Brinsea makes a nice liquid in glass thermometer that is absolutely accurate.

You should measure the air temperature at egg height (top of the egg). This is particularly important if you have a turner, because temp can vary several degrees from bottom to top in a still air. It should be 101 degrees at egg height in the turner.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The egg turner will raise the temps about 1 degree so you need to acct for that. It is good to use a surge protector to help with night time temp spikes too.

Good luck!

8. pinkfeather

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your answers! We have a good thermomator that's at egg hieght. I tried to turn it up to 101 but it jumped to 104! Yikes! Good thing I don't have any eggs in there (yet). Why would a surge protector help with the night time temps?

Thanks

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I tried to turn it up to 101 but it jumped to 104! Yikes !

Several people have mentioned before that the LG temp. control is a little too sensitive. It's a good idea to get it running, and stable for a few days before setting eggs.

Voltage spikes shouldn't affect mechanical incubators at all. They can wreak havoc on electronic controls tho.

Either way, a surge protector is a cheap and sensible precaution.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by