1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pollyd, Oct 13, 2011.

1. pollyd

pollyd New Egg

Oct 11, 2011
    Hello- I am a long time reader, first time poster to this wonderful, information loaded forum. I am locking down 14 barnyard mix eggs Sunday and have a couple of questions.
    1. I have a hovabator still air bator with auto turner. The turner motor seems to generate a lot of heat. When I turn this off will the wafer thermostat compensate or do I make adjustments with the thermostat?
    2. I plan to place the eggs in cartons as described here on the forum and wondered where in the incubator should I place the cartons? All in the middle or lined along the edges of the bator? I am thinking once the chics hatch they would have open space in middle of bator if I place cartons along the edges. Can I line up strips of cartons or cut individual cups (seems that would be unstable).
    Thanks for all the help in advance, Polly

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Ok- If you have an egg turner, there is no need for cartons.

The turner will generate extra heat. You may want to place a few thermometers around the incubator to see what the temp difference is. If you don't have a fan, you'll probably find hot spots and cold spots.

People will use cartons to hold eggs upright when they either
    1) tip the whole incubator rather than using a turner (works best with a fan because heat rises, and you get hot/cold spots) or
    2) During lockdown to prevent the eggs from rocking and rolling and bashing into eachother. Many feel the chicks have an easier time hatching if the egg is held still. You want the cartons placed in the places with optimal temps. The chicks will not care about an open space in the middle---they will shove themselves into odd places and lay on hatching eggs because they hear the other chicks peeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by