Questions about Lola the broody hen.. :-)

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
Lola is a buff orpington who is just over 6 1/2 months old. Now to my questions..

1) Will she just 'phase herself out' of it? Or should I break her out of it? ...I dont that I wont get any eggs from her.

2) I have 6 three week old chicks, after a while(wk or 2) can I slip them under her and she take over? Or are they too old?

3) Should I try and put food and water in the coop specially for her? I havent seen her more in three days.

4) Is she too young to go broody or raise chicks?

How long has she been setting.

As many know, whenever I get this question, I always answer the same. After a couple of weeks, buy a couple of day old chicks and put them under her.

Sorry I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to say I have a broody in my coop, she doesn't have any eggs under her but I take her out once a day to the waterer and let her get a drink and then I let her find her own way back to her "nest of no eggs". She always makes it back, lol.

Quote:
Three days now. Yesterday I checked in on her at different times and she hadnt moved once. When I got up this morning at 3 I went and peeked in on her and she was still sitting in the nest box. I already have 5 pullets(6 m.o.) and now have the 6 bantams. Hubby would kill me if I got any more.

Plus hes already onto my "I dont know where this kitty/puppy came from.
cool.png
Must have just shown up on the door step. Well since their here, might as well keep em." rotinue.
lau.gif

Quote:
So, I have a 8 month old gold sex link who seems to have gone broody. I think that I have waited too long now to put fertilized eggs under her- it's hard to find them around these parts!

My question is, would this work with 3-day old chicks? she has bee sitting for about 1.5 weeks now and does not peck when I take her unfertilized eggs out from under her, as I have been almost every day and she has not given up! Should I even try letting her raise eggs now or wait until the spring? I figured since it doesn't get all that cold around here, it should be okay... Any advice on anything would help!

as an aside- any leads on fertilized eggs around Austin, TX or day-old chicks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom