questions about mail ordering chickens

gpwelding1

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 10, 2011
upstate south carolina
when i was young,my uncle use to raise chickens,quail,phesant,ducks,turkeys,if it was poultry,he had it.
i remember he had a catalog that he used to order his through the mail.is this still avalible?and if so,where can i get one of the catalogs?

Hatcheries do that. Go the the website for any of the following hatcheries and they have catalogs for ordering chicks.

Welp, Cackle, Ideal, Murray McMurray, Mt. Healthy, Privett, to name a few

There are several companies that mail order chickens.
Meyer Hatchery, which also is affiliated with My Pet Chicken, is the one I used and was very happy with.
Others are Cackle, Ideal Poultry, Murray McMurray, Welp and others. I would Google each and see which one is closest to you and has what you are interested in. Any of them should be able to send you a catalog on request. If you only want a small number of chickens, under 25, then Meyer Hatchery or My Pet Chicken would be a good way to go. I've heard that sometimes the other hatcheries will send extra roosters as "packing peanuts", to help keep the ones you ordered warm. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the amount of space you have and whether you want to process, ie, eat the extra roos.

Hope that helps!

Most hatcheries offer some sort of guarantee for the birds to arrive alive.

As far as year round delivery that varies between hatcheries. Bottom line is most hatcheries scale way back over winter and may or may not ship at all. You will need to check the web site of each hatchery for specifics.

I think it's pretty standard to guarantee live delivery. I avoid having chicks shipped in really hot or really cold temperatures. They'll ship them, but the chance of chicks dieing are increased.

Most hatcheries also have online ordering now. At least the big ones do.

Back
Top Bottom