Questions about Marek's Testing/Necropsy

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
14 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
For anyone who has had birds tested for Mareks, or has done their own necropsy, could you please help...

I have a 1.5 yr. old rooster (John Urban) that I think could have mareks. His symptoms sound similar (began with a limp, more and more difficulty with walking as the weeks have gone by), but it's also possible he could have had a stroke, or something else. Either way, he's clung on for over a month since first displaying symptoms. He was my first serama, and named after my late father-in-law, so we are all very attached to him, which is why we haven't put him down yet (in a vain hope of a miraculous recovery I suppose). Until this past week he was still able to hobble around enough to act "chicken-ish," so it was easy to let him be. But now he seems to be withering away, so it'd probably be merciful to kill him, although I tear up just typing it.

I'd like to have his body tested (I'm in southern Indiana). My google search has led me to Purdue University, but the cost appears to be $88, unless the test is state or federally mandated. Plus, since they're a few hours away, I'd probably have to mail him there on blue ice, which would be another chunk of money. That seems really high to me. So I was wondering whether there are other options out there? Other places more reasonably priced?? I haven't checked with my vet yet, although I KNOW they don't have avian experience, because I've contacted them for other chicken-related concerns.

I've read (on BYC) of some doing their own necropsies, but I'm not sure what in the world I'd be looking for with mareks. I know mareks sometimes involves tumors; so if I found tumors, would I presume mareks? And if I didn't find tumors, would that exclude mareks??? Does anyone have pictures of what to look for??

Any help or advice from folks who have dealt with this would be greatly appreciated.
sad.png
This sucks...

Last edited:
Hi. Sorry about the roo. I've been there. I had my hobbler in the bedroom in a cage. But she didn't waste away.
It sounds like Roo is wasting. From watching my chickens for hours and hours, the wasters do look hungry, but almost like they're afraid to eat.

Call around or call your county and find out where your state animal disease lab is. They do it cheap. Mine charges 25 bucks, some don't charge anything.
Or, have your vet draw blood or send a piece of liver to Texas A&M. They study poultry disease and they charge something like $11. Look them up on line and call for instructions. If you necropsy, they may accept a sample from you, (of bird), and you can pack it on ice but you'll need a much smaller box.

Please update!

Doing your own necropsy is fine if the bird is older, you may see tumors. But the nerves that have paralysis (sciatica) to the legs are just inflamed and larger than the other leg's nerves. It would be hard to see, I think.

Texas A&M tests blood or tissue sample. Most animal labs have to look at the whole body.

I appreciate the input seminolewind, especially from someone who has obviously "been there, done that." I'll google some more and call around on Monday for our state "animal disease lab." I will provide updates...

I can see why many people simply chalk ill or dead birds up to "Well, illnesses/deaths just happen" and bury their birds. It's going to cost $98 plus gas to drive there (an hour away) to have my little rooster tested (here in southern Indiana). For someone who keeps run-of-the-mill chickens (maybe a $10-15 value?), paying that much to have a bird tested must sound insane! Here's the reply I received after contacting a doctor at the Indiana State Board of Animal Health:

"Hi Crystal,
I am e-mailing re: a chicken you believe has Marek's Disease. I spoke with Dr. "M" at the Heeke Veterinary Lab in Dubois In.( the Southern Indiana Purdue Agriculture Center. Phone # 812-678-3401). He told me they currently charge $98 for a necropsy. He indicated that he was not aware of any funding currently available to help lower that fee. I can assure you that this is a thourough laboratory investigation. I realize this cost probably exceeds the value of the rooster. Dr. "M" recommended that if the rooster dies or is euthanized, it should be buried and it's area should be disinfected. I'm sorry I did not have better news..."

Based on his response, it sounds as if even THEY don't expect
people to pay that much to have a body analyzed...just be sure to disinfect the coop/area. If these test fees were reasonable, I'm sure more people would have these tests run.

I'm going to drive my little roo there tomorrow. They will euthanize him and run the tests.
sad.png

Teach1rusl, Perdue testing sounds pricey.

I found mine through the County's website, listed as an State animal disease testing. There are 2 in Florida, and they charge $25.00. I would think that the county/state would like to keep tabs on what's going on with animals.

Teach, try this place http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/ai/addl/addltests.aspx

Or call those perdue people back and tell them you have a few chickens in your backyard, and can't afford to pay $88.00, so could they do the test for less.

It really doesn't hurt to pester ask people a 2nd or 3rd time. Tell them for a university or government lab, that charges that much really has no concern for animal safety for the whole state, etc.

Most states charge a small fee or nothing at all. I would push the issue. Get someone important on the phone.

Since you are going there with the roo in hand, I would REALLY push the issue. Their BOER (?) or HOER website is just oh so full of concern.
I don't know if you want to go the route of "Reportable" illnesses, but Marek's is listed. And tell them you wonder if charging such a large fee is in the interest of the good People of Indiana, since they are charging to test for a "reportable" disease.

Last edited:
I did take him in. It was $98. Since they'd already indicated that there was no $$ assistance in their email response, I didn't fight it. My vet told me that that's where they send animals/sample for testing - plus that's who the state animal health department uses, so I figured that was the only option.

But IF that's the only option, they're shooting themselves in the foot (or don't care) when it comes to backyard chicken health, because there is NO WAY that most chicken owners would pay that ridiculous fee for their birds. My roo was a beloved pet; Plus I'd considered rehoming a trio of my ornamentals this spring, so I really need to know...because obviously I can't do that if I have marek's in my flock. But how many backyarders or even breeders have marek's in their flocks and simply don't know, so they sell carrier birds???

When I was there, a lady from Purdue chickens (factory farm) was there wanting 60 birds tested (20 from each "house") for something..not sure what. I did wonder if the BIG farms got a price break on things... And I think in my state, at least based on the prices, the big/public food source farms must be their main focus...

Anyhow, they told me it'd be between 1-2 weeks for me to get the results.

Last edited:
I received the PRELIMINARY results from my little roo's necropsy, and at least so far, it doesn't appear to be mareks!!! I'm still waiting for the bacteriology and histopatholgy results, which I'm so hoping support the physical exam.

The prelimary diagnosis is abdominal abscess. There was a lot of info., but it sounds like the intestines adjacent to the abscess were wadded up in a large ball, bound by scar tissue. Basically, the intestines were obstructed. The brain and sciatic nerves appeared normal.

Please, please, please let the other tests come back normal...
fl.gif

On the other hand, had I known something was wrong with the intestines early on, I could have given olive oil or something and possibly kept things from ever growing so severe.
sad.png

I will update when I receive the rest of my results.

Back
Top Bottom