Questions About My Sick Chick

kosborn1

Chirping
Apr 15, 2018
hi everyone! I am brand new to the chicken-raising life. I purchased 15 chicks from a hatchery and received them yesterday morning. All of them seemed to be fine, and we’re eating and drinking normally.

Today, I came out in the morning to check on them and one chick was not looking so hot. She was laying flat and seemed off. I monitored them for a while and she wasn’t eating or drinking at all.

I read lots of threads on here so I checked her for pasty butt, gave her water off my finger, then did the sugar water, tried a raw egg and had her drink a bit of that. Now I’m trying the chicken feed mash. I have been giving her something every hour. (I coat my finger with mash and offer it to her until she takes some, and then I wait a few moments and repeat X3 or 4) I’ve seen her attempt to eat once or twice. The other chicks aren’t pexking her but they do step on her head sometimes. :(

Sometimes she is blended in with the others when they’re sleeping and I can’t even pick her out. Other times she’s off by herself laying flat looking dead. She pecks at my hand, let’s me hold her without any skittishness, and will open mouth for water or food if I’m patient.

So, that’s my rambling, here are my questions:
1) I’m checking on her throughout the night. If she’s in with the others sleeping normally (not flat on ground by herself), do I wake her up to get her to eat, or leave her?

2) Should I separate her? I know they do best together which is why she’s still in there.

3) should I be doing something else? (I am going in the morning to get liquid vitamins)

4) what is a reasonable time frame to nurse her? I’m willing to do it forever, but I don’t want to prolong suffering if she is suffering.

Hi @kosborn1 :frow Welcome To BYC

How is your chick?

You are doing what you can for her. I see you are going to get vitamins today, if you can, get Poultry Nutri-Drench. Give your chick 1-2drops per day. Getting her hydrated is the first thing to do, then see if she will take a little wet mash.

Unfortunately, there is also a sad part of chicken keeping-some chicks just fail to thrive.

Keep us posted.

I hope your little chick is doing better! It sounds like you are doing everything you can. I had one that wasn’t doing well. I left it in with the other chicks for warmth and every so often I would warm a towel in the dryer and hold her then make sure to dip her beak and get her to drink. I think sometimes it is just a wait and see :-(

How is your chick?

You are doing what you can for her. I see you are going to get vitamins today, if you can, get Poultry Nutri-Drench. Give your chick 1-2drops per day. Getting her hydrated is the first thing to do, then see if she will take a little wet mash.

Unfortunately, there is also a sad part of chicken keeping-some chicks just fail to thrive.

Keep us posted.

How is your chick?

Keep us posted.

How is your chick?

Keep us posted.
She is doing much better today! Eating on her own and pecking all of her siblings! A few of the others had some pasty butt issues today, but everyone seems to be good now! Thanks so much for the tips and support!

I hope your little chick is doing better! It sounds like you are doing everything you can. I had one that wasn’t doing well. I left it in with the other chicks for warmth and every so often I would warm a towel in the dryer and hold her then make sure to dip her beak and get her to drink. I think sometimes it is just a wait and see :-(
I’m very hopeful about her! She seems much better today!!

Glad she is doing better!

Check your brooder temperature and watch your chick's behavior - too hot or too cold can be a cause of vent pasting. You want one warm spot and let the rest of the brooder be cool. Place your food/water on the cool end of the brooder too.

I hope everything goes well for you!

I'm so happy to say that the little one made it and is thriving! The other chicks are about twice the size of little "sickie" (named by our 6 yr old), but they actually all protect her! Very happy with how the situation turned out!

Back
Top Bottom