questions about new hatch chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SuziQ, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SuziQ

SuziQ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Had our first hatch begin today and one is lying on it's stomach with it's legs
    stretched out behind him. Is this normal behaviour? Thought it might be dead
    at first, but it's breathing okay but he seems to be spending all his time sleeping
    and the other one is more active and up on it's feet. Hope it's just an exhausted
    chick and not a problem. [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It may be resting or it may have a health issue.

3. SuziQ

SuziQ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Thanks RebelCowboy, I'm hoping that it's just resting, but have a
    sick feeling that it's more than that. It just doesn't seem to be able
    to get it's feet under it. It's started scratching and trying, but just
    doesn't seem to be able to so far.

Any idea of humane ways to put one down if it is unable to use
    it's legs? I hate even thinking about that, but can't stand to see
    an animal suffer either.

4. Bananas

Bananas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Give it some time! I've had a bunch of chicks like that, that I was SURE would never walk and would have to be culled. I had a quail whose legs went out sideways! I gave them a day or two and they were really wobbly, but every single one of them has straightened out and is fine.

I think some chicks just need time to get those muscles working properly, especially if the chick is weak because of too cool or hot incubation temps or something.

One other idea is to put the chick with a bunch of other chicks. I had a chick who I thought for sure was a goner because she was lying on her back. I kept flipping her over but she kept rolling onto her back. Her legs didn't seem to work. I put her into the brooder with some (slightly) older chicks who promptly started running all over and stepping on her and periodically poking her. Well, she got up really fast! She figured out that she needed to move if she didn't want to be poked and stepped on and once she started using her muscles she got strong quickly. It took about 3 days with her before I was sure she was going to be ok. Now she's a perfectly normal 3 week old chick!

So don't give up! Give it a few days. As long as the chick's not in pain, give him a chance. When you figure how long it takes for a human to learn to use their legs properly, I think a chick deserves a couple of days to get things figured out if they need it!

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

yap, give him a chance, he deserve right to life also.

if in a week or two he didn't make it, then can have another way to help him avoid more suffer.

6. Bananas

Bananas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any news? How's he doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by