Questions about not recommended Mareck Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

harewizard

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
Maryland
Please explain why a hatchery does not recommend the Mareks Disease Vaccine in chicks? I'm geting ready to place an order and came across this...

I'm confused. Don't I want them to be vaccinated against this disease?

Thanks,
Lisa

Maybe call the hatchery and ask them why they don't recommend it. It may just cost them more in the long run to do the vaccination than what they charge.

I could be wrong, but I believe that vaccinated birds, while immune themselves, can actually infect non-vaccinated birds (because of the vaccine). Somebody will correct me if this is not right
smile.png

The website offers the vaccine. They charge 10 cents per chick.
I re-read the site and they do not recommend the Marek vaccine, Dubbing, dewing and debeaking for the small flock owner.

Okay, why not small flock owner? That's me.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Bingo. If there is a live vaccination then they do become a carrier. I refuse to have the flu shot that every body jumps on the band wagon for & if I am in a group of people that has had it I get the flu from them. Most vaccines cause more problems then they do good.

Edited to add: These vaccines are for commercial farm that are already infected. So the new comers don't die as fast when they get there.

Last edited:
Quote:
Amen to that!

ETA: I love your avatar, btw! Larry is fun
tongue.png

Last edited:
I don't know what dubbing is but I wouldn't want my birds debeaked or dewinged. I have considered trimming the tip of the beak on a few though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom