Questions about our broody hen

muddbog

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Hesselbach, Germany
Hello everyone, I am new here as well as new to raising chickens. I have a broody hen that has been sitting on 8 eggs for 14 days but this morning I went in to collect the other eggs and she was sitting on different eggs. The original eggs were covered with what seemed to be egg yolk and white and There was one egg missing, I can only assume that the one egg "exploded" but why would she abandon the other 7 eggs? I moved her back on to the other 7 eggs. Was this ok to do? Is there something else I should do? I didn't clean the other eggs, should I?

you should clean the eggs she properly stood on and egg and got scared tonight when she is asleep clean the eggs put them in the nest and put the hen off the eggs then she will go back on them

and soon
jumpy.gif

welcome-byc.gif

If the egg exploded, you probably would have mentioned the stench
sickbyc.gif
. Since you didn't, I'm thinking it's much more likely the egg got broke, by the broody or another hen trying to squeeze in there. When I've had broken eggs on a nest, I dry wipe the remaining eggs, then using a lightly damp paper towel wash the worst of the yolk off the shells. I try to wash as little as possible to keep from disturbing the protective cover on the egg.

Thanks for your help, the hen is back on the eggs, I just hope the chicks survived because I don't know how long it was she wasn't sitting on them.... We should see in about 6 days...:)

Back
Top Bottom