Questions about our flying 11 wk old Ameraucana

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Hi all,

This is a first for us. Our 11 wk old Ameraucana flew over a 6 ft wire fence with a white rope strung over top the fence. She was frightened, and with our help and some scratch we got her back into her run with her other 2 buddies.

Some people suggested the white rope. They said it works and it does with the older girls, but not with this bird.

First of all we don't want to cut her wings.

Question: 1. Has anyone known a bird to fly at such a young age?

2. Are Ameraucana's prone to fly?

3. Since she was scared will that teach her not to try this again?

Any suggestions would really help.

Thank you group.

She will continue to fly...you most likely need to clip her wings...

0.jpg

We have Ameraucanas (4 11 week olds) and they all fly, their pen is enclosed on all sides including top thankfully. My boyfriend is 6'3 and they fly up to his head. Maybe its an Ameraucana thing? Lol. We have an older one (no idea exactly how old probably 25 weeks) and she doesn't fly very often, except to roost at night. We are not going to be clipping our babies wings either.
smile.png

We have Ameraucanas (4 11 week olds) and they all fly, their pen is enclosed on all sides including top thankfully. My boyfriend is 6'3 and they fly up to his head. Maybe its an Ameraucana thing? Lol. We have an older one (no idea exactly how old probably 25 weeks) and she doesn't fly very often, except to roost at night. We are not going to be clipping our babies wings either.
smile.png
Thank you all, but we are not clipping wings. I can't believe your chick flies that far. We have to enclosed too.

I wonder if it's an Ameraucana thing too.

"clipping wings" is not really the best term for it. What you would do is trim just the primary flight feathers on one wing (one because it imbalances them during flight). I'm just saying this in case it sounds like people are suggesting cutting off part of the actual wing.

Of course there are other ways of dealing with the problem too, namely completely covering the top of the pen. I do think your chickens will try flying out again, if neither of these things are done.

Back
Top Bottom