White Leghorns Flying, Jumping, or Perching in Trees?

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
I have 2 baby (hopefully pullets) White Leghorns who are growing and getting bigger. Pretty soon they will be out in the chicken yard. The problem is, I have heard that White Leghorns are flyers and jump over fences. I don't know how much protection I need to have for them. I have a 6 ft. fence on one side, but one chicken I had years ago flew over that fence. We can put a screen up but I have heard that White Leghorns end up in trees. Is this true and does it apply to every White Leghorns? Do they have a tendency to fly up into trees and perch there? This is my first time with White Leghorns and I want to be prepared. If they get into the trees, they will be able to fly anywhere outside of the chicken yard. Thanks.

My white Leghorn girl used to perch and get over our 6 ft fence, until she saw a raccoon walking around one night and now doesn't do it anymore. I clipped her wings the day I saw the raccoon. ( It was still snowing, so I could see what was coming around the pen and when. )
Any chicken can fly and get into places they shouldn't be. Chickens love to perch, so maybe adding a few perching areas in their coop/run might help. Are they free range? Do they have a house they go in at night? You can try adding a netting on top of the run so they don't get through it. You can also clip their wings like I did to prevent them from getting out and possibly getting hurt.

My leghorns will be 3 this summer . They used to just fly over the chain link fence to the front yard. In the last 6-12 months they have taken to (daily) flying over my 6ft fence into the garden area (and laying their eggs in the duck house). Mine have not gone up into our trees but I don’t have any branches quite low enough for them.

My white Leghorn girl used to perch and get over our 6 ft fence, until she saw a raccoon walking around one night and now doesn't do it anymore. I clipped her wings the day I saw the raccoon. ( It was still snowing, so I could see what was coming around the pen and when. )
Any chicken can fly and get into places they shouldn't be. Chickens love to perch, so maybe adding a few perching areas in their coop/run might help. Are they free range? Do they have a house they go in at night? You can try adding a netting on top of the run so they don't get through it. You can also clip their wings like I did to prevent them from getting out and possibly getting hurt.
That's a great idea on clipping the wings. I did that to one of mine that flew over the fence. I keep the babies in a large coop/run right now and don't want to let them out yet. We might get a fence and may get a higher one as well. I notice with my older ones, they don't fly anymore or try to get out. Of course, most of the chicken yard is mostly covered with a net. The only part that concerns me is where the trees are (on the side) and there is uncovered space there.

I "trained" my leghorns not to fly when we strung up the hawk string in their chicken yard. The string is tight so they would fly up hit it and come right back down. I can let them out in my yard with a 3ft chain link fence with no problems now. Sometimes they get excited running across the yard and take flight. I say "feet on the ground ladies". I like to think they listen.

Our leghorns years ago were inside a small town and roosted in the citrus trees in the backyard. They never new what a coop was once they left the small brooder/coop. Now I'd use the fishnetting top to cover a run that's 5' high as to allow chickens to be chickens and stretch their wings but still stay safe.

I think one of my chickens, Evie, is a white leghorn. She is definitely the most interested in climbing trees. She does it occasionally but has never gone over fences or anything. I think it could depend on the bird. If there is enough enrichment in the space they may not try to go anywhere else. Evie is pretty content to stay with the rest of the flock most of the time. If you have only white leghorns they might encourage each other with this particular trait.

Leghorns are a lightweight bird, and they can easily fly over a 6ft. fence, as well as perch in trees. But just because they can, doesn't necessarily mean they will. I've had legorns forever, and it really depends on their individual personality. Some are just more adventurous than others. :)

Back
Top Bottom