White leghorn not laying white eggs?

thechickgal

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Indiana
I have 4 young hens who just came into lay, well at least 3 laying now. Rural king had them labeled as ISA browns and White leghorns. I’m getting blue and Olive green eggs! The “white leghorns” look exactly down to the T like a leghorn, slender bodies on the smaller side of standard and white earlobes and yellow legs and feet. Large flopped over red combs. The brown hens are a golden brown fitting the looks of ISA brown but of course I know there are breeds like the start light eggers that look similar so that’s not as puzzling but I’ve never heard of a leghorn laying any color but white! Has anyone ever heard of this?

Can you post a photo, especially of the white ones?

I wonder if you have Frost White Legbars. They would lay blue eggs and look very much like a White Leghorn, except that they have a small crest of feathers behind the comb.

40DA41F9-02C0-4BBC-AF48-861103400A3B.jpeg
5DD38FDD-491B-429E-89DE-D80B773BB226.jpeg

so far I’ve been getting a sky blue egg and 2 of these olive green eggs. I’ve been so puzzled by this as these are the only 4 hens I have that’s at laying age

so far I’ve been getting a sky blue egg and 2 of these olive green eggs. I’ve been so puzzled by this as these are the only 4 hens I have that’s at laying age
Lucky you!

There are several members here on BYC who have been complaining lately about most of their Starlight Green Eggers laying just simple brown eggs like the ISA browns/comets/cinnamon queens they seem to be.

This might even turn out to have been a mayor mix-up at one of the bigger hatcheries this year as they look almost the same.

That is definitely puzzling.

I don't see any crest on the head, so probably no Frost White Legbars.

All I can figure is that someone has been interbreeding blue eggers with White Leghorns, trying to get better layers of blue eggs, and that's what your white ones are :confused:

The brown ones I agree are probably Starlight Green Eggers (or the same thing with a different name, depending on which hatchery they came from.)

Your brown hens have white earlobes so not a red sex-link such as ISA brown and most likely one of the green egger crosses. Your whites may also be something along the lines of "azure blue eggers" or some similar blue laying cross that are leghorn based

I know white legbar should have a crest but mine is sooo unnoticeable. I couldn’t find the original pic but the top before shows how little the crest can be. Id not rule it out based on that alone. But my leghorn does lay a white white egg.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom