1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Polyvisol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue_Myst, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I've been hearing a lot about giving 'Polyvisol' to chicks, and I know it's a type of children's vitamin, but beyond those two facts, I'm clueless. Is it something I should just keep on hand in case they get sick to give them a 'boost' to their immune system, or is this something that I should be giving them everyday? I'll be giving them medicated chick starter, if that's of any consequence, and I will be getting them locally, not through the mail, so they won't be as stressed out by the traveling. Unless of course traffic is horrible, but, only so much you can do about that [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you can give! My chicks are coming soon and I'm in a great panic to make sure everything is going to be perfect for them! Oh boy, so much to do [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Polyvisol is actually a baby vitamin (as in human baby). If you want to keep some on hand in case of a weak chick it wouldn't hurt.
    When my chicks arrived, I dipped their beaks in their water as I took them out of the shipping box and then set them down IN their feeder tray. All they needed was their feed and fresh water.
    I didn't have a weak chick, so I can't advise you on dosage for the polyvisol.
    Good luck!

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks for the fast reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by