Questions about Pond Netting

Amy's Animals

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Southern Oregon
I had a hawk attack last week and almost lost one of my chickens.
somad.gif
I need to cover my run now. I went to our local Grange-Coop and found some 25'x25' green-colored pond netting for $27.50. It's pretty lightweight stuff, about the same type of material baling twine is made out of. Would this keep the hawk out? Will it hold some snow? Would this be my best investment or should I get something else? (if so, what?) I need to cover an area approx. 15'x27' and 12'x12'. All tips and advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

The pond netting is probably polyethylene which is pretty tough stuff and designed to keep large birds like cranes and herons out of ponds. It would take a determined hawk to break through a 1" or even 2" mesh of knotted polyethylene. I use a 2" mesh 25'X25' over my run and have plenty of hawks around. Never lost a chicken to a hawk while using this netting, but I have seen hawks buzz the run and then fly elsewhere.

Well I was using netting a two dogs went thru it and wiped out my whole flock Friday. I will never use this again. It might keep the hawks out but not a big dog. They WILL climb a fence!

im sorry for your loss! fortunatley though, we live in a rural area and never have strange dogs pass my chicken coop and if one will and does something to my chickens i promise you ill kill em.

My netting keeps the hawks out and the chickens in. My electric wires keep dogs out. 9000 volts is pretty effective.

Back
Top Bottom