Questions about pools for ducks

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi everyone, I just got 5 adult khaki Campbell’s and I absolutely love them! I was wondering if ducks need access to a pool every single day? I have their water containers that they can fully submerge their heads in but didn’t fill their pool yesterday because I need to get a better system going. The pool I got is just a bit too tall and the ducks were having a hard time getting in and out. I don’t want them to injure themselves. It also was a big pain to drain out the water. Another question - does the water need to be dumped and refreshed every day or could you get away with every couple days?

I plan on buying a smaller kiddie pool for them soon that will be easier to get in and out of but having a hard time finding one.

thanks in advance!

Here is what I had (sold the ducks to keep peace in the neighborhood).

50 gallon stock tank with a ball valve. I don't seem to have pics of the pipe we used to drain it outside the run.
IMG_20200524_114337.jpg

Ducky deck sloped to drain splashing outside the run. It was filling in this pic. Don't mind the poop....they seemed quite happy to make it a poop deck. I always hosed it down after filling the pool. Steps of concrete since I had them laying around. The tank was a foot deep and setting on pavers made it a bit taller. They had a ramp to get on the deck. 80% of the time they used the steps to exit the pool. I cleaned it 3-4 times a week. I did not glue in the pipe to the ball valve. I wanted to be able to backflush it if they managed to clog it up.

A big tip......don't put the ball valve under a trap door like I did. Not only was it gross with poo it froze in winter.

IMG_20200710_065416.jpg

We re fill the poop for the ducks when it get muddy. They don’t need to every day but they sure do love it! One of the old ladies I help take care of only has the pool for water so I refill it every day. For them not being able to get in and out I placed bricks in the pond to creat a little step. And a small piece of wood to make a little ramp. But I am not a duck expert

Here is what I had (sold the ducks to keep peace in the neighborhood).

50 gallon stock tank with a ball valve. I don't seem to have pics of the pipe we used to drain it outside the run.
View attachment 2709776

Ducky deck sloped to drain splashing outside the run. It was filling in this pic. Don't mind the poop....they seemed quite happy to make it a poop deck. I always hosed it down after filling the pool. Steps of concrete since I had them laying around. The tank was a foot deep and setting on pavers made it a bit taller. They had a ramp to get on the deck. 80% of the time they used the steps to exit the pool. I cleaned it 3-4 times a week. I did not glue in the pipe to the ball valve. I wanted to be able to backflush it if they managed to clog it up.

A big tip......don't put the ball valve under a trap door like I did. Not only was it gross with poo it froze in winter.

View attachment 2709779
This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

We re fill the poop for the ducks when it get muddy. They don’t need to every day but they sure do love it! One of the old ladies I help take care of only has the pool for water so I refill it every day. For them not being able to get in and out I placed bricks in the pond to creat a little step. And a small piece of wood to make a little ramp. But I am not a duck expert
Got it! Thanks!

We have a pond that our ducks get to go to during the day and have the kiddie pool for mornings/evenings. I don’t change it every day but it gets gross fast (every 2-3 days for sure). We probably should change it daily.

I got these on Amazon. Eventually, I want a pond but these are easy to clean.

Attachments

• F2EA11C3-E7FA-48ED-AA9B-37D45C28E8AE.jpeg
    F2EA11C3-E7FA-48ED-AA9B-37D45C28E8AE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
When we had ducks, we bought a little kiddie pool and they loved it, it got dirty really quickly but we dumped it out every couple days. I don’t know if they needed it, but if you don’t mind the mess it certainly improves the quality of their lives. They seemed to be able to get in and out fine when full grown, but when they were small we put some bricks around the edges as steps to get in and out.
AEEE26C0-236F-484E-90C8-6A7FAD47557D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom