questions about poop in the lay boxes and more

Hi all, here's an update about my poopy nest boxes. After considering all my options (moving them when they get in there at night, putting a football in there, etc...), I noticed a pizza box in my recycling one night. I got it, tore it in half, and I wedged one side in the right next box and one in the left, sort of blocking them off. I did this right before they come in for the night. Well, they got the picture, and after removing them every morning and replacing them at night, they are pretty well trained.
AHA---this is the punchline: we've been waiting for them to lay (26 wks x 4 RIW's and EE's), and I forgot to remove the box tops before going to work one day. The clever ladies found a way to remove one of the tops and begin laying, and left me their very first egg. The next day they did the same. x2 eggs!!!. So now if I forget to remove the cover, they weasel it off and lay!
I've peeked at them at night and they are sleeping on the roost. So far problem solved...thank God for pizza...
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom