1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by R3dnck, Jan 17, 2016.

1. R3dnck

R3dnck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    South Carolina
    I have a few questions maybe yall can answer. I am new to quail an I want to start raising about 10 or so for egg purposes. What are some of the requirements to keep them especially this time of the year? I live in SC at nights it gets cold and when winter starts really hitting its not uncommon for us to get 15-20 degree weather before daybreak. I would be keeping them outside in a raised pen that is enclosed on three sides and the roof. Anything else I should add to the pen or to help keep them alive thru the winter?
    Thanks for your time

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I just give my quail a pile of hay for them to snuggle in when it gets cold, I have coturnix and they are fine in the winter temps up here in Mass (temps got to -20 F here last winter)

1 person likes this.
  3. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    If your enclosure it open wire on the bottom they appreciate a snuggly box filled with hay or shavings. I will often see four or more quail crowded into a box to keep warm.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by