questions about quail!!

chixaregreat41

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
bruce mines
I want to get some quail im not quite sure what type im getting as a friends getting them they are either bob whites or coturnix and i have a few questions...
When do they begin laying eggs?
Will they sit on there eggs or do i incubate them?
How much space do they require?
Do the males crow like roosters?
How many eggs do they lay and how consistent?
Do you recomend them?
Are there eggs eddible?
What do i feed them??

Lots of questions!
lol.png

Okay, here goes.
First check local and state laws regarding the bob white quail. Coturnix are not regulated however in many areas Bobwhites are native and therefore you might be required to have a permit.
Coturnix can begin laying at about 10-12 weeks if my memory serves me. Bobwhites I'm not sure.
Males don't "crow" like roosters but they will "crow". It is much quieter. The bobwhites make a soft whistling sound that says their name.
Coturnix can lay nearly daily, not sure about the egg production on the bobwhites.
Eggs are edible and are considered a delicacy by many (as well as the birds themselves)
You feed them gamebird feed, somewhere around 22% and higher.
Hope this helps with some questions.

Here is a good starting point. When you do get your eggs, this link will come in handy (there is an incubation chart for coturnix). Coturnix have been in captivity for so long, they have lost the natural instinct to lay on their eggs to hatch them. When it is time to process your quail, this link will be of assistance. One thing that was mentioned is that you will need to research on your own is your city ordinance on poultry.
I hope this helps.
James

We were told that coturnix can start laying any time from 6 weeks on, ours didn't start until past 10 weeks though.
Minimum space is 1 square foot per bird, but the more you can give them the happier they will be.
A good ratio to keep them in in 1 male to 4 females minimum, 5 or 6 is better, past that you will have decreased fertility. If multiple males are in the same pen you may need a few extra females to stop them fighting, I'm not sure.
The male's crow is a sweet, quiet sound, it won't bother your neighbours, I would be surprised if they can even hear it.
Hope this helps!

555, you must have some "special" roos..... I have 7 roos that are kept in my garage, and I can hear them from 70 feet away. I know my neighbors dog can hear them, because she'll sit there on the other side of the fense with her ears up looking at my garage. This weekend I will stop procrastinating and process the 5 smaller roos, and keep the 2 largest for breeding.
I am considering buying a dozen bobwhite eggs next spring just to keep a male. I absolutely love the sound of the bobwhite crow.
James

I only have 2.. and I have heard them get rather loud. But at least it sounds like some native wild bird...lol.. neighbors haven't complained, yet !

Ahh, James mine are all coturnix, I don't have any experience with bobwhites, I don't know what they sound like. Also, our male is alone with 5 hens, so he doesn't need to compete with other males, or call for hens. When he was alone he crowed a lot more often.

[/IMG]

These are my new quails could anybody tell me why they aren't laying

Last edited:
Also, when quail move it will take them about 2 weeks to start laying again, if they are already old enough to lay

Back
Top Bottom