Questions about RIR roosters and crosses......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenWisperer, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I have a beautiful little RIR/Buff Orpington cross cockerel.....and im slightly worried about his behaivor.

Once again, im afraid I might have fallen into a bad rut with a Cockerel, and soon-to-be Roo.....

Anyway, i have heard from alot of people that RIR roosters are known to be very aggressive....and this youngster i have came from a not so well-behaved Buff Orpington roo and a RIR hen.....

He is already skittish.....he was a great little baby, but as he gets older, he gets more and more flighty! After you catch him, and he struggles for awhile, he will submit, and is so calm....but he acts terrified of us when we go to pick him up and hold him!

Do i just need to start interacting with him more? I am refusing to give up on him. He is my very first baby that i have hatched, and he is the only thing left of my first chicken, the one that started it all.....and I love the gorgeous little thing.

Any comments or suggestions?

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a RIR roo, and he's a perfect gentleman. He's over a year old, I think, we've only had him a few weeks.

I think, as a rule, you can't use a breed as a standard for behavior. We had a BO roo, and they're supposed to be mellow, and he could be a MEAN s.o.b.

If he's just becoming into his new roo-ness, it may just be a bit of hormones. Keep working with him. I have hens that I've raised from eggs, and even though they were handled and socialized as chicks and pullets, you'd think I was trying to kill them if I try to pick them up.

Good luck.
    Em

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Really?

True, I have heard that there are "bad strains" that can give a certain bloodline aggressive qualities......i dont know if thats true or not, just what i heard. Lol, thats what i thought when my BO roo grew up! [​IMG]

Lol, that was anouther theory, but i just wasnt sure......will do. Lol!

Thanks so much for the reply!

*~CW~*

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Try to catch and handle him every day, he'll come around in time.

I have a big RIR roo, he gives me no trouble at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by