Questions about roosters

SquirrelCreek

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
Blue Ridge, GA
Hello all!

I've been taking care of someone else's chickens for about 3 years, and have finally gotten my own chickens. I have a Buff Polish (R) and 2 Rhode Island Reds (H)(R). My roosters have been getting along so far, but Friday, the Buff got himself into trouble with the RIR rooster. Now that they've established who's boss, can I expect they'll get along, or do I need to separate them so they don't fight again?

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

I've never tried to keep two roosters with one hen, so I can't say for certain. It may depend on space and the particular personalities of the roosters involved. But I'm sure that others will be weighing in with more insightful opinions soon.

Thanks! I love this site is here! I think they'll be ok? Finneget (the Polish, so named as he was fitt'n to get eat) tries to antagonize Andy (RIR), and normally, Andy will just kinda fluff his feathers and threaten him. However, I think at some point, Finn pushed too far and Andy asserted his dominance. Everyone tells me you can't have 2 roos in the same flock, though.

G’Day from down under SquirrelCreek :frow Welcome!

Sorry, as we are not allowed to have roosters, I have no experience with them.

However, I did want to say that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are a few related to roosters but not your particular predicament I think.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom