questions about selling eggs

I get about 7 dozen a week, and sell for $3 a dozen, and sell out regularly. I only sell on Friday and Saturday, and only have 5 or 6 customers. One guy always comes by on Saturday afternoon, and takes whatever I have left over to sell at his work for $5 a dozen.

Facebook Marketplace is pretty strict about you having your certifications I believe. Certifications needed depends on what state you are in. To legally sell eggs here (Massachusetts) you need an egg washing facility and an inspection. So I don't sell eggs. I gift them, and then people gift me money!
How many dozen a week you trying to sell? If it is just a few maybe start with you or your families friends and coworkers. Then Maybe an ad on craigslist. Or a cooler with a sign at the end of your driveway. Then you go on facebook and let everyone they can come get delicious eggs if they want.
Like Tree3hugger, I gift my eggs and they gift me some money. My customers are all friends and 3 live on our private road, so they pick the eggs up at the gate, calling me ahead of time to agree on a time. Two of my friends live in town and I only deliver eggs when I am gong there , so no extra trips. It works like a charm, and it is all by word of mouth. I would not advertise, no way, no how, trouble in the making.

Wow. Where do you live? No one would ever buy eggs for that much here in NC. I sell mine for $3 dozen, $5 for 18 and $8 for a flat.
Check the price for free range organic eggs, last timeI looked they were $8, I get $3 , all friends and it pays for my feed, which is all I really care about. I am getting between 8 and 12 a day.

I put a sign in my front yard with the words FRESH, ORGANIC EGGS and a little box with my business cards (i'm an artist). They call or text for a pick up. I ask them to bring a basket or carton. Lots leave me cartons by my front gate. Some even call when the sign is not out. And I do the same for my honey. I do have names and phone numbers I can text when I have either. I list their names as Eggs-Alice, Eggs-Crystal, Honey-Anna etc.One lady only wants a certain color. I was charging what Trader Joes and the farmer's market did but I don't mass produce so I get a little more. My people are happy. I'm happy and my girls are happy.
I do the same in my address book on my phone Sera. When I have dozens of extra eggs, I text my egg customers already in my phone address book. It is a quick, easy way to sell my eggs. I charge $4 per dozen.

I would recommend advertising though your local "Next Door" group that your customers are your neighbors. You can find yours by going to Nextdoor.com. As far as pricing, I would look at the local farmers market to see what the eggs are going for. I personally probably don't charge enough for my eggs, but I have elderly customers and am happy to help. One lady buys 5 dozen every month for her husband who eats 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. I ask for 2 dollars a dozen because she saves the cartons for me, but she always insists on giving me $20.00 and says the extra is for their feed. I love my chickens and never intended them to be a money making endeavor, they bring me so much joy and that is priceless.
Nextdoor is a great place to advertise that you have eggs for sale. And it’s absolutely free. 😊👏

i’ve been considering starting to sell my eggs because i get so many and i was thinking the money could also go towards my feed. I was wondering where would be a good place to advertise? i was thinking facebook market place. i was also wondering how much would be a reasonable price for fresh organic eggs?
thank you !
I sell mine to friends and coworkers for $3/dozen. It's low, but a lady down the street from me sells hers for $3 at our local feed store, so . . . .

We get around 2 to 21/2 dozen chicken eggs per day right now. We give them to neighbors, friends, and family. I also occasionally donate to church groups and local charity groups.
I've read that here in Texas you must get your flock tested if you want to sell eggs anywhere other than your own property. I haven't verified that.
I don't like the idea of people coming on our property so I don't sell. We have dogs and free range chickens, so I feel like it would be a liability and I just don't trust folks in general.
Our local grocery has limits on egg purchases most days and are frequently out of them. I've had people call and offer to pay but I just request empty cartons instead.

One of my neighbors called and asked if she could purchase some of my garden produce, if I had extra. She said she's getting a CSA, but would rather purchase from me. She would also love to buy eggs; she's paying $6/doz for organic at the store. I wouldn't sell mine for over $3, maybe $4? $3 is the going rate around here, but they aren't advertised as organic.

I just switched to organic food, having found a local supplier of what I want. I started my chickens on organic starter/grower, then went to all flock, but couldn't find organic until last week. I garden organically, but am not certified; I'm not going to go through that cost, paperwork, or hassle when it's for my own use. And maybe my neighbor's. :)

I also occasionally donate to church groups and local charity groups.
Food pantry's won't take them here.

so I feel like it would be a liability and I just don't trust folks in general.
My house insurer thinks so.....good thing I don't sell to the public.
I feel the same.

Back
Top Bottom