questions about selling eggs

I didn't realize duck eggs were a high demand item. We use them for baking which isn't often. DH won't use them for breakfast because he thinks they taste weird. I only get 2 per day (from 5 females) but I have at least a dozen and a half sitting in the fridge. I just give them away....
The guy at our Farmers Market who has duck eggs sells them for $9.00/doz. My husband prefers them and resents the ones I sell that I do not make into the fluffiest, best ever omelets. They beat up better and do not break when you fold the omelet, the egg taste is not overwhelmed by the filling. Sneak some of those duck eggs into your guy! (Tell him you are trying a new recipe)! :drool Fresh Duck eggs are a terrible thing to waste!

Last edited:
For what ever price you decide, go a dollar higher and if they return their carton knock a dollar off. So say you think $5 a dozen sounds fair, sell them for $6 and if a person brings their carton back when they want another dozen you sell it for $5.

also, I have an old teacher from high schools that has an agreement with a local farmer. Every so often he will buy them a bag of feed in exchange for eggs. Idk how often he gets eggs but they are both happy with the exchange and if you have some egg sales laws that make it hard to legally sell eggs it might be a good way to go!
That is a good idea, I will do that.

That's so very cool!

(Oddly, in the book I'm writing the MC has a B&B on a working farm and part of the draw is seeing the cows that give the milk and the chickens that lay the eggs. :D )
Truth is, lot's of people do want to see animals, but more than half who come here just want to go hiking and could care less about the chickens or eggs! But, I consider the eggs I put in the Bunkhouse sold, breakfast is included -- eggs, orange juice, muffins and butter is stocked in the frig.

i’ve been considering starting to sell my eggs because i get so many and i was thinking the money could also go towards my feed. I was wondering where would be a good place to advertise? i was thinking facebook market place. i was also wondering how much would be a reasonable price for fresh organic eggs?
thank you !
Are they truly organic, meaning nothing but organic feed from the day they hatched?

How much eggs sell for depends on your location and the market there.
Do some scouting around to see what they are selling for in your area,
both at the stores and other backyarders.

The next thing is your marketing savvy.

I sell to a few friends, not to the general public.
Many keepers have the best luck selling at the workplaces and/or church and/or other groups.

Oh, and.......start your prices higher rather than lower.
Easy to lower prices but not raise them.

The average price here around the Waco area is $3/dozen. FB is strict about deleting egg sales so most people advertise to sell the carton. Others simply post that there are 3 dozen cartons in the honor box at their driveway. Leave $3 and a replacement carton per doz or $3.50 without a replacement.

My wife has people on a waiting list just by word of mouth. First, she gifts a dozen each to two friends, then 2 dozen to our church. Then she has a list of about 5-6 people who want anywhere from a dozen to three dozen each; if they bought eggs this week, they go to the bottom of the list and have to work their way back to the top. We get between 85 and 100 eggs a week and only use about a dozen ourselves. She loves her chickens, she loves her chicks, she loves gathering eggs and she loves giving eggs to her friends. She doesn't like selling them BUT she does it to keep from being the neighborhood free egg distribution center and to offset feed costs.

Facebook Marketplace is pretty strict about you having your certifications I believe. Certifications needed depends on what state you are in. To legally sell eggs here (Massachusetts) you need an egg washing facility and an inspection. So I don't sell eggs. I gift them, and then people gift me money!
How many dozen a week you trying to sell? If it is just a few maybe start with you or your families friends and coworkers. Then Maybe an ad on craigslist. Or a cooler with a sign at the end of your driveway. Then you go on facebook and let everyone they can come get delicious eggs if they want.
I thought you could 'Sell on the farm" only with out an issue. Or that was my take on it a few years ago when I had extra eggs.
3 years ago I sold my Organic- free ranged eggs for $4 to someone in my town on a regular basis, I even delivered them because it was less then a mile and I have an EV car :D
I also sold some to one guy a few times but then winter hit and then I sold the hens the next spring.
I did an ad on CL in the Garden section. I couldn't put a sign at my house because the reason I had to find homes for the Hens was from nasty neighbor kids :mad: I didn't want to advertise anything for them to keep doing crappy things... They are now older and I now own a BB gun.....

Back
Top Bottom