questions about selling eggs

i’ve been considering starting to sell my eggs because i get so many and i was thinking the money could also go towards my feed. I was wondering where would be a good place to advertise? i was thinking facebook market place. i was also wondering how much would be a reasonable price for fresh organic eggs?
thank you !
I was told that the garage sale app is a good option for advertising eggs. I have not used it since when I put an ad on Craigslist for my duck eggs I had a lady that wanted all of the duck and chicken eggs I had. I ended up buying more ducks, we have 60 hens plus some drakes and currently producing around 18 eggs a day and going up. Duck eggs are a hot item here. I sell them in bulk for $6/dozen but most people sell them for up to $8/dozen. We feed organic so this pays our feed bill, and we are happy with that. This summer they are going on pasture/seasonal pond. We are growing fodder this year(Comfrey and stinging nettle). We also grow duckweed for them(they love) so maybe eventually we will see a profit, although I am not getting my hopes up. However, I am looking foward to them improving our pasture.

During peak laying we can get about 6-7 doz when the hens we have now. Later this summer there will be 15 more laying hens added to the group. So we will have eggs out our ears. That said we have never had an issue with gifting or selling our extra eggs. We have a waiting list almost and we don't advertise, it is all word of mouth. Most of our eggs go to church friends and family. If we have extra and our "regulars" either are already taken care of or don't need any we move on to co-workers or those that don't get eggs regularly.

Like someone else said we don't really sell them, we gift them and just about every person we have gifted to has gifted us money back lol. Usually around $5 for 18, the elderly friends usually give $3 (we try to give these away for free but occasionally those ladies can be really insistent lol). We always end up having feed cost covered. Sometimes one of our regulars will just buy a bag of feed or treats for the girls. This all works out for us, but we also aren't over run with eggs or trying to make money.

Back
Top Bottom