1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about showing...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    My family & I have just recently got into raising chickens and are actually picking up our first silkies this weekend & have made plans to buy a few more in a couple of weeks hopefully. My husband & I are really interested in getting into showing them w/ our sons. Can anyone tell how we would go about doing so? I am at the moment trying to do as much research as possible on the breed & different characteristics of them so that I can be more knowledgable about them. I am so excited to not only be getting such beautiful babies but by the prospect of getting to "show" them off & have a family hobby. Thank you all in advance!!

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    [​IMG] and Congratulations on getting "Bitten by the chicken bug" ! Such a great family hobby. Can't really answer your questions but some one will come along with the answers for you. [​IMG]

Quote:

3. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Quote:
    Thank you! I love it here!! && I am definately becoming addicted. hehehe... [​IMG]

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Alot depends on the State(s) in which you desire to exhibit your birds. Most back East require NPIP, some also require AI (NC and VA for example).

I would suggest that you go to a poultry show first before you ever show and talk to the folks there. They'll be glad to help.

You will also want to join the APA/ABA and obtain either the Standard of Perfection or the Bantam Standard. You cannot really show birds properly until you have a Standard.

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    My best advice is for your family to join the American Silkie Bantam Club....the membership is very affordable, they have a great "Juniors" Program, long time breeders who are willing to answer questions. The Standard of Perfection (SOP) for Silkies is also listed on their website---that's the guideline used by judges to judge Silkies in a show. The ASBC also has a list of breeders--by state--so maybe you can find another breeder nearby who's willing to mentor you.

Also---go to shows---you'll learn alot, see alot of Silkies, and hopefully meet some breeders there who are willing to "talk Silkie"

Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by