Questions about showing...

ChobeeChickenMommy

Songster
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Okeechobee, FL
My family & I have just recently got into raising chickens and are actually picking up our first silkies this weekend & have made plans to buy a few more in a couple of weeks hopefully. My husband & I are really interested in getting into showing them w/ our sons. Can anyone tell how we would go about doing so? I am at the moment trying to do as much research as possible on the breed & different characteristics of them so that I can be more knowledgable about them. I am so excited to not only be getting such beautiful babies but by the prospect of getting to "show" them off & have a family hobby. Thank you all in advance!!

welcome-byc.gif
and Congratulations on getting "Bitten by the chicken bug" ! Such a great family hobby. Can't really answer your questions but some one will come along with the answers for you.
celebrate.gif

Quote:

Alot depends on the State(s) in which you desire to exhibit your birds. Most back East require NPIP, some also require AI (NC and VA for example).

I would suggest that you go to a poultry show first before you ever show and talk to the folks there. They'll be glad to help.

You will also want to join the APA/ABA and obtain either the Standard of Perfection or the Bantam Standard. You cannot really show birds properly until you have a Standard.

My best advice is for your family to join the American Silkie Bantam Club....the membership is very affordable, they have a great "Juniors" Program, long time breeders who are willing to answer questions. The Standard of Perfection (SOP) for Silkies is also listed on their website---that's the guideline used by judges to judge Silkies in a show. The ASBC also has a list of breeders--by state--so maybe you can find another breeder nearby who's willing to mentor you.

Also---go to shows---you'll learn alot, see alot of Silkies, and hopefully meet some breeders there who are willing to "talk Silkie"

Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom