Questions About Showing

Fleabuskitty

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Hi! I am interested in eventually having a breed/showing flock of black Ameraucanas and I am also considering entering my two Seramas in a show in January, but I have a couple questions.
I know all about bathing, transportation, etc, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly happens in a show. I've heard that they give you a legband that you have to have for your bird, but I was wondering if you have to put it on the chicken, because neither of the Seramas has ever worn legband and I know they would be very confused. I read somewhere that somebody's bird was too big for its legband so they just carried it around because all that was required was that you posses the legband? Is that true?
Is there anything else I should know about showing?

Your birds must already have leg bands on them, placed by you and recorded on your entry form. The band Id's your bird as yours per your records not the show secrataries. The bands also serve as a security measure when a bird comes up missing. Band numbers should corespond with that birds NPIP certification but it's not realy adhered to and not a big deal. But you must have an NPIP certified flock and submit your certification reciept when you enter.

Alright, thanks
smile.png
. I am working on getting my flock NPIP Certified, I already knew about that
wink.png

2012 will be my 50th year showing & I've never heard of a show requiring leg bands. Owners leg band birds for their own record keeping purposes but shows don't require it.

Quote:
They are required at all of our shows in and around Oklahoma, we must identify the bird by band number on the entry form as well as all other information required. This is done for security purposes in the event a bird comes up missing during the show. It has been that way around here for as long as I can remember. I often use the spiral leg bands rather than the permanent though since they charge us additional for substituting a bird. It has saved me more than once when a bird nicks or drops a feather. band numbers are printed on the coop tag with the exibitor number, breed, variety and age/sex designator

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Not all States have the NPIP leg bands, mine doesn't.

Olahoma does not issue NPIP bands either but a copy of the flock certificate is mailed with the entries, band numbers are supplied by the showman.​

Quote:
The part I put in bold is not exactly correct: it depends on where you are showing. NPIP legbands are issued in only a few states that I am aware of. NPIP is required in some states, but not all. Typically, the farther east the state is, the more likely it is required for entry in a show. Most western states do not have this requirement. In some states getting NPIP status is very difficult or expensive.

A band on your bird is good as ownership identification only if the band remains on the bird. Except for permanent metal bands, removing a band is pretty easy. Then it is He Said, She Said. Identification is most useful at a show when identifying different birds in a trio--for examplke, say one of the pullets taks BB. In many cases the females are caged together, and in trios, you want as identical birds as possible in your trio--so, without numbered or different coloured legbands, how do you distinguish which one of the birds won BB?

I've never seen a show where the presence of legbands was actually checked to ensure birds have them. Quite frankly, I only make absolute certain that my birds have them if I am entering trios. I do LIKE to have them, but it really is not a huge concern.

I have never seen a show issue legbands--they usually are not even available for sale at shows, although I think that legbands as well as coop cups would be ideal items to have on a sale table.

Quote:
Most of the show rules out here say you are supposed to have them. I have never seen it verified at any of these shows, though. I usually leave band number blank on hte entry forms, although I may hand write them on the coop tags later--and for the most part, that IS for my own information--how each individual bird placed at which shows.

Most shows I attend require legbands, but don't enforce it. Also most states do not require you to be NPIP to show, just have a 90 day certificate that they have been tested for pullorum-typhoid. But there are benefits to being NPIP certified.

Back
Top Bottom