Questions About Showing

Quote:
They are required at all of our shows in and around Oklahoma, we must identify the bird by band number on the entry form as well as all other information required. This is done for security purposes in the event a bird comes up missing during the show. It has been that way around here for as long as I can remember. I often use the spiral leg bands rather than the permanent though since they charge us additional for substituting a bird. It has saved me more than once when a bird nicks or drops a feather. band numbers are printed on the coop tag with the exibitor number, breed, variety and age/sex designator

I've never shown out west but back here it's not a requirement at any show I've attended. I'm show secretary for 2 shows & was secretary for a third, none of these require a leg band. Nothing in APA or ABA rules requires one.

It is really interesting to see how much things vary across the US, in regards to show requirements, I think the bands are more for security as it is still up to the breeder to really track his / her birds. But I have been present at a few shows when birds are "mistakenly" un-cooped by teh wrong person and a proper leg band is handy when locating the bird.

i know here at the shows i show at they dont require u show proof ur bird is APA recognized but it does have to be a APA recognized breed to show. and legbands are not required here. its just for owners to keep track of there birds if they have alot or are selling them they may have certaint ones for differnt prices and the leg bands help to tell the birds from one another. at my shows u just put ur bird in a cage, the judge comes around at a certaint time. judges the birds then after or the next day u take them home with ur winnings if u do win anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! Is there anybody in Georgia who might know? Maybe I will just put legbands on them... I use strips of velcro with different colored tape on them to identify similar-looking chicks, so maybe I'll do that but write a number on there just so I don't drive a couple hours and then not be able to show the birds
tongue.png

Quote:
They are required at all of our shows in and around Oklahoma, we must identify the bird by band number on the entry form as well as all other information required. This is done for security purposes in the event a bird comes up missing during the show. It has been that way around here for as long as I can remember. I often use the spiral leg bands rather than the permanent though since they charge us additional for substituting a bird. It has saved me more than once when a bird nicks or drops a feather. band numbers are printed on the coop tag with the exibitor number, breed, variety and age/sex designator

While the entry form on a lot of shows in Oklahoma may say legbands are required they don't enforce it.
Bob

I have shown from California to New England and the legband rule has never been enforced as far as I can tell. Most shows these days don't even ask for them.
BUT- I feel that the time is coming when when some form of permanent ID will be required.
For me I have used the seamless legband ( ABA and others) for years.
I even use them on my free range guineas and peacocks. It is nice to be able to tell the age of a bird from a distance.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom