Questions about silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mommak, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mommak

mommak In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    WA
    I have 2 3week old silkies- these are my first chicks. I know it's early but I'm afraid they are Roos - both have very large personalities, but because I've never raised chickens before I don't know for sure- they are very attached to each other.
    One has no feathers growing on his/her feet yet- is that weird?
    If I get more chicks do I need to keep to bantams to keep them safe? Or will they do ok with full sized birds?
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Doe they have 5 toes on each foot? Usually they are born with feathered feet, sometimes it takes longer to come in. Or it could be a genetic thing that's popped up in breeding or a pureness thing. Either way it shouldn't matter unless you plan to show/ breed them. They can live with big birds however they are docile so getting stroppy birds is a no no. If they grow up together then the silkies usually do fine, they just need lower perches ( they may never perch though) low nest boxes and a dry place to be on a cold wet day. Faverolles do well with Silkies because they are both quite docile. Yes it is to early to tell but if you post a pic at 8 weeks of their combs, again at 12 weeks I should be able to give you an idea. Outright roosters are obvious but some develop slowly.

3. mommak

mommak In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    WA
    Yes both chicks have 5 toes on each foot- I'm really only interested in having them as pets, although if one/both up to be show quality I may reconsider. These little creatures are very active and are constantly hopping around and flapping their wings. I guess we'll see- I got them from Craigslist so I can't truly verify how well bread they are. The other one has very furry feet (neither one had much when I got them 2 weeks ago) [​IMG]

4. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Well the feathers, may grow in yet. Yes they will flap their wings and run round, mine 'play' as young pullets they group up and chase each other with their wings out flapping and their heads down low in a charging position, they also do this when sparrows land close to their food, they love to chase the birds, when they grow up and are ready to lay they take on a ladylike air and start acting like adults. They look good for their age

5. mommak

mommak In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    WA
    Thank you!
    I'll post more pics when they're older

6. mommak

mommak In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    WA
    [​IMG]
    7 weeks old- Q has already started crowing (it's an attempt at least)

7. mommak

mommak In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    WA
    [​IMG]
    The white one, Q, - def a cockerel ... Pretty sure Stella is a pullet. Very calm and quiet
    Thoughts on her/it?

8. mommak

mommak In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    WA
    Darn those we're the wrong pics - I have newer ones

9. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If he is starting to crow then he is definitely a boy. Newer photos of stella would be helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: