Questions about skirting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hansen4211, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hansen4211

Hansen4211 Chillin' With My Peeps

We just finished our first coop. We need to put something down around the outside or dig around the edges and put something down deep to keep out coyotes and fox. Any suggestions?

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Many here recommend hardware cloth, and I used that on my first pen. I now use woven (not welded) wire fencing, however, as it's impossible to break (large animals, and even smaller dogs, can break the welds in welded wire).

Here is my original pen w/ hardware cloth apron:

[​IMG]

And here's my woven wire 2x2 fencing. I used hardware cloth on the bottom 2 feet of the chainlink to prevent reach-ins, and this on the skirt. It is wired to the pen and staked in all around.

[​IMG]

3. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I made an apron with some left over cement mix. It probably isn't the cheapest way to go, and it sure isn't the easiest, but I had it so I used it. And let me tell you, if any foxes were planning on digging, they better bring a jack hammer.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I had some 12x12 concrete pavers on hand, so I lined the perimeter and it has been effective.

5. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:The second photo here is what we use...well, we have 2"x4"...but same concept...heavy gauge and welded...no dig-in's since thats been up for over two years at our place. (2x2 is prob better)

6. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Again, I use WOVEN wire, not welded. Even a 25# dog can break the welded in any welded wire, regardless of gauge, if determined enough.

7. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have watched my dogs tear at the welded wire. In the places where the welds break, the wire is still there.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Woven wire is obviously the best, but quite expensive. I`ve used the welded wire with great success. My present settup is some left over plastic lattice cut in 2' x 8' lengths and held in place with landscape spikes. My chickens like to dig around the perimiters, so wit a 2' wide piece of lattice, I stick one foot inside and one foot outside. I don`t bother with the lower 2-3 feet of the run as the birds will be locked up during the night when they can`t see and in the daytime, they can see predators. On my side of the mountain I have everything from possums to coyotes and wild dogs. So far, so good........Pop

9. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:For a while, maybe. Trust me--I have had to replace a 40 foot section I did in welded wire b/c it got SHREDDED by my 25 pound dog! If one weld breaks, fine--but it's not just one. If more than a few break, you have a very easy way for the intruded to put paws to dirt and dig a real hole under the fence!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by