Questions about swans

Apr 27, 2020
So we are looking into getting swans in a few years and before we can get them we need to know a few things so if you could help thanks

1. will they fly away?
2. Can you train them to go into a coop at night?
3. Are they okay with other animals like ducks chickens and dogs?
4. How big does the pond or lake have to be for them?
5. How many do you need to get?
6. And will they be able to sleep in a coop at night with ducks and chickens?

Thanks in advance

#1 No , Not if they are pinioned as require by law . They can walk some distance if your pond is not fenced in and there is another pond or creek close by . #2 To a point but they are better left to nature on the pond . #3 Not during breeding season they will attack anything that threatens them . Watch young children around Mute Swans as they can break bones in small children with the wing battery . #4 I have never read a set rule for pond size but mine are 1/4 acre, but I assume the larger the better . #5 There is no set rule but best to have at least a pair . #6 I wouldn't recommend it. #7 If the pond is fenced in they can handle themselves well at night but watch for snapping turtles that may harm their feet , beaks and young . Sorry this is so belated ! You can feed them greens such as spinach , chard , grass and so on . Have fun ! I forgot , Male is called Cob , Female Pen , chicks and young Cygnets .

Last edited:
So we are looking into getting swans in a few years and before we can get them we need to know a few things so if you could help thanks

1. will they fly away?
2. Can you train them to go into a coop at night?
3. Are they okay with other animals like ducks chickens and dogs?
4. How big does the pond or lake have to be for them?
5. How many do you need to get?
6. And will they be able to sleep in a coop at night with ducks and chickens?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom