Questions about this breed

Dace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
I ordered 3 black australorpes. Two of the three look identical (the Twins), except that one has yellow feet. The third, Lurch is a fair bit larger that the twins and had very little in the way of comb and wattle. They are all 21 weeks.
Can anyone help me identify? Just curious.

07-23-09001.jpg

07-23-09005.jpg

07-23-09010.jpg

7-23-09056.jpg

7-23-09055.jpg

7-23-09082.jpg

To show size difference:
7-23-09086.jpg

They tell me that the ones without the yellow feet are Black Australopes. I forget what they say the other is. But they are different I guess. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
I think the yellow feet are Jersey Giants, but my Twin girls are identical and only one has the yellow feet. Maybe they are a cross, but I am mostly curious about the larger black one who does not look at all like the Twins.

Im going to say that the bird in first picture is a Black Jersey Giant. (Yellow under the feet)
The bird in the second and third picture is a Black Australorp. ( Pink under the feet)
(If any of the birds had white under the feet then they could be a Black Orpington)

Chris

Last edited:
So the one with the smallest comb 7 wattle/least amount of red on her face could be a Black Orp? (3rd, 6th & 7th pic down) Her feet are more white than pinky, but she does not really have that round Orp look she is kinda tall and dorky....we call her Lurch (poor thing!)

Or the 2nd, 3rd, 5, &5th photos are both Australorpes? They don't look much alike in the faces or in stature.

Sorry, I just find it a bit confusing the way two are identical and the third looks different.

Last edited:
That's what the other breed is called. Jersey Giant!

This is my BA Big Bertha. Pink on bottom of feet.

36910_big_bertha.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I found:

Australorps are often confused with Jersey Giants, and you can tell the difference by their legs. Jersey Giants’ legs are black, the bottoms of their feet being yellow. Australorps’ legs are black, the bottoms being pinkish-white.

We have one that is huge!!!!! my mother in law rec'd him and was told he is an Australorp...can anyone tell from there COMBS on how many points they have????

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, well. I didn't know that. The A-Lorp is one of my favorite birds, and they were the first chickens that I owned.
I would never have imagined t look at the bottoms of their feet, though (which goes for most any chicken I encounter
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom