Questions about 'Wazine 17' dewormer

Mrs. Glassman

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Cedartown, Georgia
I noticed that my hen who just hatched a brood of 11 chicks is pooping roundworms.

So I go to the feed store, and they give me a bottle of Wazine 17, the active ingredient is "Piperazine Base" The only directions are printed on the bottle, and they are a little vauge:

"Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle."

Ok, I figured more than one dose would be needed, but it doesn't say how many. Should I give it to them only twice? For a few months? Or do they have to take it forever??

Also, the warning reads:
"Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consuption."

Does this mean WHILE they are on the medicine? And for how long afterwards? Or does it mean I can NEVER eat the eggs from those chickens??
barnie.gif
th.gif

the way I give Wazine is the 1 day treatment..
then retreat in 10-14 days.
others might do it different.

keep check on droppings. if you see worms, retreat.

sometimes you can't see the worms, and a fecal sample can be taken to a vet for testing..sometimes called a fecal float.tests for worms, and what kinds, also shows if they have cocci present.

the warning about laying hens is on all meds.
not to worry.
people use a withdrawal period after using any med.
(withdrawal means not use the eggs for human consumption for a certain time period..with Wazine, which is pretty safe..I'd do maybe 2 weeks, but eggs can be fed back to the chickens)

do you understand the dose amount?
1 ounce to 1 gallon of water.
check label.

Last edited:
Thank you!

And I think understand the dose, but these chicks & mom won't be able to drink a gallon of water in one day. The Directions say that 30ml meds in 3.8 liters water=100 chickens. I only have 11 chicks & 1 hen to do. I was going to cut it down to 3ml in about 1/2 liter of water.

There aren't any directions for fewer than 100 chickens....so that is the best I can figure.

Back
Top Bottom