Questions about White Leghorns..?

Rasuka

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
エド-City カブキチョ
I am interested in getting more babies for my flock.
My cousin has 3 white leghorns that are the best egg producing machines!!
They are incredible!
I am interested in getting some of those... but the only thing that keeps me from it is..
Are they really docile enough to hold and kiss, and cuddle with?
As of now, I have 4 Australorps, 1 White Cochin (Large Fowl), and 1 Buff Brahma (Large Fowl).
4 out of 6 is the most cuddley, kind, and loving babies!

Now... About the white leghorns...
My cousin has 3 that are not very kind, and they even attack her and bite her and puff up themselves and challenge her when she gets near them.

Then I read on something else people were saying "They are so lovable, and they love to be held."
Is that true? I understand even though breeds are often stereotyped, everyone is unique and have different personalities.
Let's take one of my Australorps for example. Most people say "Sweet and Shy"
3 out of 4 are NOT shy.
One comes up to you and won't stop pestering you until you hold her.
They don't even run from me unless we are playing tag together in the backyard.
Lunate *the most lovable one* she will often get jealous if you hold the other chickens.

I want to know if this is possible for Leghorns as well?

My cousin got them as chicks, but she was working and she didn't pay them much attention. She wasn't always holding one when she got home.

Me on the other hand, I SPOILED MY BABIES when I got them.
I always took 1-2 hours for each mommy and baby personal time.
I had 6, so my days were ALWAYS with the babies.
I do not work, I do have school, but I often hold and cuddle my babies while I work on my homework.

If I did the same with the Leghorns would they love and won't mind being held, or will they challenge me and attack me like they do with my cousin?

Last edited:
I'd get sex links. Black sex links, red sex links. They're GREAT layers. I get one a day from each of mine, they never skip a day. And they're SO friendly.

I had a leghorn that did not mind being picked up and would actually come to me. The rest of my birds were skittish and and did not want to have anything to do with me. If you want lots of eggs and good fed conversion, get white leghorns and if you want pets get another breed of chicken.

Tim

I have a mixed flock. 2 of my hens are white leg horns. I hand raised this batch
D.gif
so they are all pretty friendly. They are great egg layers. I also have gold sex link & black copper maran hens. The white leg horns give me more eggs than the other hens but really they all produce well.

Thank you guys so much for replying and giving me insights on the white Leghorns~
I do understand they are at the top for Egg Production~
Since I already have my "Pet" chickens, I guess it won't really matter if the Leghorns don't let me hold them, as long as they don't try to challenge me. C:<

Anyway~ thank you all for your insights! ^o^ It really helped me out! Thank you thank you!

Back
Top Bottom