Questions and concerns

MommaD

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
I just joined the Forum, and have done so because of the valuable information that I have read from the site. My current situation is that I am a workkamper who has undertaken the care of 150 laying hens and now 59 chicks. Last night I discovered a hen while preping water and fed for nighttime who had a hole that has been, I am assuming, pecked into her back, literally down to the bone. I held her last night to check it out. She does not seem to be in any discomfort, no infection, no fly infestation, nothing evident of any inflammatory situation. I have placed her in the nursery ward, as the chicks are now 1 1/2 months old, and are very self-sufficient and are quite fiesty. I do keep the chick enviroment interesting so they are continually stimulated and continue to grow. All of the hens on the ranch are free range and raised for the sole purpose of organic egg production. Since I have moved here, I probably spend more time with the hens than most in the past, but these hens are so great to be with and I find that each one has her own personality. Any information as to what might have prompted this type of issue on the hen would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to any and all information/suggestions. Again, thanks, MommaD

Back
Top Bottom