1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions concerning laying....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Nov 7, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have 11 pullets. 3 are easter eggers that I got almost 2 months after my first 7. Out of the 7 that were born June 1, 3 have started to lay. They started about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They are: 2 white rocks, and 1 red star. The others 4 are two buff orpingtons, and two barred rocks, which have not laid an egg yet. I am wondering why. I know they all start at different times, but they have BIG red combs and wattles, and have been doing the "squat" as long as the others. Why no eggs from them yet??? [​IMG]

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    [​IMG] I had a white rock, a EE and a barred rock they all started laying at different times. I have added five more breeds and they all started laying 1-4 weeks apart even though they are the same age. That first egg seems to take forever and once you get one it is even worse than waiting for christmas morning. They are worth the wait.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, they all lay in their own time. I have 3 EE, one started laying at 21 weeks, one at 26 weeks, still waiting on the last one. I have BA and Dominique that started at almost 22 weeks, but BO is still holding off...I figure if average ages is around 21 weeks, for every 16 weeker, there are some 27-30 weekers too. Be patient:/

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    It is so hard to be patient![​IMG] One more thing: I noticed one of the barred rocks in a nest box this morning, but no egg, could she be gearing up?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, I think they go through a period trying to figure out where it is safe to lay those little gems. If they're checking out the nest box, you should have an egg coming soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by