questions for 3 week old chicks

its_tara

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
I live just east of the SF Bay area. My chicks are doing well in the garage under a lamp. The temps are mild, but in the 50's and 60's at nite. Can I put the chicks in the coop with a lamp? How warm do they need to be at this age? Can I give them table scraps yet? Stick with the medicated feed? Thanks

I BELIEVE THAT YOU LOWER THE TEMP 5 DEGREES A WEEK, SO IF YOU CAN KEEP THE TEMPERATURE AT 80 IN THE COOP WITH A HEAT LAMP IF THEY ARE 3 WEEKS, NO PROBLEM. THE CHICKS NEED TO STAY ON STARTER FOR 6 WEEKS, THEN CHICK GROWER UNTIL THEY START LAYING EGGS, THEN LAYER FEED. BEFORE THEY GET SCRAPS, THEY NEED TO BE ON CHICK GRIT, DIFFERENT FROM GRIT FOR THE FULL GROWN, AS LONG AS TREATS ARE JUST TREATS, THEY NEED THEIR STARTER AND GROWER TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY STAY HEALTHY AND GET THE PROPER NUTRIENTS. OTHERS WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT TO GIVE AND WHAT NOT TO GIVE, I GIVE MY 2 WEEK OLD SOME CORNMEAL JUST FOR A TREAT. HOPE THAT THIS HELPS, PLUS I DON'T KNOW HOW OLD OUR CHICKS ARE AND THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Last edited:
first----
welcome-byc.gif
.. I live in SC and the temp here in round 70 sound I use a white light during the day and the heat lamp at night( it can be round 50 or 60 here at night) I would put them in a coop with a white light during the day and heat lamp at night..the temp in the coop should be round 90 f but I also have bantams so I have to keep the temp hotter for them...But I wouldnt give them scraps just yet I would give them torn up, small grass clipings..and stick with regular chick starter

Back
Top Bottom