Questions for Broody Hens

MandaRae

For the love of 🐓Chickens & Sunflowers 🌻
5 Years
Jan 3, 2019
Pitt County, North Carolina
SO I had a Hen that had a Prolapsed vent. It took 2 weeks but I got her all healed and back to normal. She had laid 4 eggs since being healed and no relapse.
BUT now she is acting broody. Should I put a few fertile eggs under her and let her hatch some?
I heard Broody hens stop laying so I figured it might give her time to heal more and not be harassed by the rooster.
Why or Why not would this work?

Any and all advice please I have never let a hen hatch eggs for me before.

Nothing is more fun than a broody hen. This time of year, if your eggs don't hatch, you can get chicks to slip under her. And that would give her probably 6-8 weeks without laying.

I love that I happened upon this thread and it’s recent! I have the exact same issue. My white silkie keeps prolapsing and is going broody. Do you have any updates??

My problem is that I think she will lapse again just from pooping… and it will get on the eggs?!!

I love that I happened upon this thread and it’s recent! I have the exact same issue. My white silkie keeps prolapsing and is going broody. Do you have any updates??

My problem is that I think she will lapse again just from pooping… and it will get on the eggs?!!
So I brought mine inside. I soaked her in epsom salt daily and kept apply Raw honey to help with the swelling and also sprayed the vetrycin as often as I could. I removed all nest boxes so she wouldn't lay.
In the beginning it did prolapse when she pooped but I would either soak her or just clean it well and eventually it stayed in. Make sure there is no fecal stuck to the prolapse at all it will not stay in and will not heal with it irritated.

She has not relapsed since and her eggs are due to hatch tomorrowish lol

This is what i had an issue with the first week it wouldn't stay in or heal with this white poop stuck. I had to soak her for like 45min and peeled it off. After it was removed it stayed in and finally started to fully heal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331-191631_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220331-191631_Gallery.jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom