Questions for mobile run - 10x12

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tom20175, May 31, 2016.

1. tom20175

tom20175 New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hi there,

I'd like to build a mobile run for 12 hens. I've done a bit of reading online, and I think I've decided on a 10x12 run which seems to agree with the rule of thumb I've read: 10 square feet per hen.

What I'm not so sure about is the height. I need to keep weight of the run in mind because I plan on making it mobile. I will place 2 15" tires at about mid-point, and use an idea someone posted to create a retractable wheel lift here: http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Revised_chicken_tractor_wheel_lift/

I'm trying to decide on the height of the run. Since I'd like it to be mobile, weight is a factor. I'm thinking of using 2x4 lumber, 24" on center. Originally, I thought of making it 5 feet high, so I could get inside the run easily if I wanted to. But once I realized how heavy all that lumber would be, I started reconsidering the height and now I'm wondering if 4 feet, or even 3 feet would be better.

So, before I begin construction, I have a few questions, and I'd appreciate feedback on any of these:

1) What height would you suggest for a mobile run?

2) Is the 24" on center framing overkill? Could I get by with 30" or even 36" on center, or would I risk warping?

3) Does anyone have some pictures, or links for retractable wheels? I found this one, and I think it will work, even for my dimensions:

4) Any favorite links or pictures you've come across for a nice run?

Thank you!
    Tom

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Hi, Tom. First of all welcome! Have you looked as some of the "hoop" style coops as an option?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by