Questions for newbie of newbie ~

GaNewChick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
McDonough, Ga.
I'm a newbie with 1 newbie chick. I've searched but haven't hit on some of the answers yet ~ sorry if this has been asked a million times.

I've read and read but I want to clarify that I have things right ~

I'm only dealing with one chick as it looks like the other 5 aren't going to hatch. The following is a list of things I think I have right

Heating lamp
10 gallon aquarium (I'd rather not use a box)
Paper towels (at what point do I change over to pine shavings?)
Water with marbles to prevent drowing
Starter feed (how long does it stay on starter feed & and does it need anything else?
Since he is by himself ~ I'm going to buy a couple of tiny stuffed animals for company (right?)
Temp gauge ~ 95 degrees the first week, decrease by 5 degrees a week. (decrease 5 degrees a week until what week?)
Understand that it needs heat and an area to get out of the heat.
Something to perch on.
Handle frequently to get use to people (at what point do you start handling and how long can it stay out of the 95 degrees?)

All I can think of right now ~ if I've missed anything please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Clappy.gif

Laura

Last edited:
Heating lamp
10 gallon aquarium (I'd rather not use a box) I use tanks also.
Paper towels (at what point do I change over to pine shavings?)
Water with marbles to prevent drowning
Starter feed (how long does it stay on starter feed & and does it need anything else? until you get your first egg, if female, 16 weeks male
Since he is by himself ~ I'm going to buy a couple of tiny stuffed animals for company (right?)or you could try to get atleast one more chick...
Temp gauge ~ 95 degrees the first week, decrease by 5 degrees a week. (decrease 5 degrees a week until what week?)till they are feathered and or at room temp.
Understand that it needs heat and an area to get out of the heat.
Something to perch on.
Handle frequently to get use to people (at what point do you start handling and how long can it stay out of the 95 degress?)ASAP a few min is fine they will let you know if they are cold

I hope this helps you

Something that others have found works good for company for a lone chick is a clean feather duster.
wink.png

I actually wound up using a dog crate *cleaned good* that is working perfect. Enough vent holes to allow good air circulation and placed the heat lamp at the entrance.

I gave him a mirror....omg, he talking to himself WAY TOO MUCH. If I get a second one will they calm each other down, or will I have twice the noise? lol

Back
Top Bottom