Questions for Processors and Consumers

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
I went to the local store today and looked at weights and costs of chicken. Certified organic, which we are, weighed between 3.5 and 4.5lbs and cost $3.99lb. Free range weighed between 4.5 and 5.5lbs and cost $2.99lb. A local farmer and friend sells them for $4.50lb and they are not certified organic. I processed one of our 6 week cornish today and it dressed out at 3.5lbs. We can get $5.00+lb.

Here are the questions. As a processor, do you find consumers buy smaller birds but buy more birds, buy bigger birds and buy the same amount, or buy bigger birds and buy less. Are they happy with a smaller bird?

With beef we find that consumers are scared of buying whole/half/quarters and will pay a lot more per pound if we make freezer packs and sell in 50lb bundles... often they end up buying a half/quarter anyway. This got me thinking. Let's say our chickens average 5lbs and we're asking $5lb, that's $25 a bird... average. Some may cost more. Personally I would not pay that much for a chicken. But then again I wouldn't pay the $15 store price either. /shrug

If you're a consumer, I ask the same questions I asked the processors, do you want more smaller birds, the same amount but in larger birds, or larger birds and buy less?

When I buy a whole bird I am looking for a larger bird, around 5 lbs. I like to roast or use the rotisserie for these, and am looking for a bird big enough to give us some leftovers for tomorrow. If I am cooking something which requires less meat (and less effort and time usually), I will use boneless skinless breasts, and only use what I need. For me, buying a smaller whole chicken defeats the purpose of cooking in this manner. Just my opinion though.

Um, I realize this isn't going to be helpful at all, but -- it just depends on the circumstances -- how I'm going to prepare it, how many people I'm serving, whether or not I want to have leftovers for additional meals. So, there are times when I just want a 3 lb fryer, or even two 14-16 ounce cornish hens, and other times I want the biggest roaster I can find.

Quote:
Agreed. We try to keep ours right around 5lbs or less for whole birds. If we get birds that are bigger than 5lbs, those are the first ones we choose for cutting up for those customers who orders theirs cut into parts.

Back
Top Bottom