Questions help

Sand creek Ameraucanas

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
I have these two a buff and a lavender blue wheaten. Both pure Ameraucanas
I know that blue+blue doesn’t equal blue since it’s not true blue just a weak black. Will the black genes still come through if these two were bred? I’ve bred EEs in the past not for color. I’m a horse person so this isn’t my strong suit.

I am also a horse person, but very new to chicken colours. i think of blue a bit like the horse cream gene. So a chestnut with one cream gene will be palamino and with two will be cremello. As i understand it, a black chicken with 1 blue gene will be blue and with two will be splash. So blue x blue would be like palamino x palamino. You will get 25% black 25% splash and 50% blue. Lavender is self blue which will breed true (lavender x lavender will always give ladender- like two chestnuts). i can't help with the wheaten gene though. even my usual goto website doesnt have blue wheaten in it. http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator hope this helps somewhat and someone with more experience can chime in.

You post is a bit confusing.
What do you mean by a lavender blue wheaten?
Is it lavender (self blue) or blue (andalusian blue) or are you saying it's both?
Blue isn't a weak black its a diluted black.

Back
Top Bottom