QUESTIONS ON BLACK HEAD? AND FLAGRYL

Glenda L Heywood

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
what does blackhead look like on turkeys
is there any signs and what are they?

what does every one use for treating blackhead in turkeys?

I know that the use of cayenne pepper does work
3 tbsp per gallon of feed daily

also that chickens carry blackhead and do not get it but give it to turkeys?

email me any answers please

I'd love to know the answers. I have five turkeys of various ages and it occurs to me that I wouldn't know blackhead if I saw it.

I researched and found that the old treatment meds are no longer available without a prescription. I see that there are preventative medications, mostly available within a feed. Are there any ways of helping to curb the possibilities of this that are available separately? Or any homeopathics that I could try as well?

Thank you!

"Clinical signs in turkeys may include sulfur-colored droppings,
lethargy, drooping wings, eyes closed, head held close to the body,
weakness, or emaciation. Lesions are characterized by thickening and
ulceration of the lining of the ceca and by focal necrosis in the liver. The
combination of swollen, inflamed ceca with yellow, cheesy cecal cores
and discrete spots of necrosis in the liver is considered indicative for histomoniasis.
Variations in the severity and appearance of lesions are not
uncommon, however, and cecal lesions without liver involvement occur
occasionally.
25"

Chickens are carriers of the parasite, as are some other birds. Turkeys shouldnt be around the birds for the risk, although many keep them together with no problems.

http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_25.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your effort, but I am to do research on that sort of description myself. I read that article and about 20 others including medical dissertations yesterday. They all say the same thing, really.

What I actually am asking for is first-hand descriptions of blackhead, please. Hands-on, practical experience. Variations in presentation. How often or not head blackening occurs. What blackening of the head actually is - a darkening of the skin itself, like blue comb? Or is it an exterior blackening? Any lesions, or the regular texture?

I understand that many times the blackening of the head doesn't occur - just the generic "sick bird" ruffling and looking miserable. Are there any signs (other than sulfurous droppings) that stand out?

These don't have to be official medical statements: those I can find on my own. I'd like personal experiences, please.

Thanks in advance!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom