Questions on breeding chickens please..

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
I got an incubator for Christmas and I am so excited to use it - life has been a little crazy - so i haven't tried it out yet. I am planning on using the the "mutt" eggs to try it out - but when spring comes i would like my hens to be broody and stay on their own eggs.

This is my first year that i am going to separate some of my chickens to get "pure breed" babies. My questions are as follows:

* How big of a pen should a hen and rooster be confined to?

* How long should they be confined together?

* What else should I know about breeding chickens for the first time?

Thank you so much for your time!!
smile.png

I'm interested to hear, too.

I just kept my little d'Anvers pullet and cockeral confined together for a week (I know.. only a week, but there were reasons). And she completely went on egg STRIKE and didn't lay one the ENTIRE STINKING TIME. I still have no idea whether he got the job done or not. The sad part is, they already knew each other, and I moved HIM in with HER, so she should have been fairly comfortable.. guess not. LOL! Some things can't be forced, I suppose.

Meghan

Last edited:
Hi,
I would have at least 3 hens in with the roo if possible.
Just a standard run size will be fine, sorry i dont have a run
as mine freerange thru the day and sleep in their little house at night.
Also my roos have their favourite girls so i always know who's eggs are going to be fertile as they also have their own nest boxes.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Good luck, how exciting for you.

Mine free range all day and then go in the barn at night too.. that is why I want to see what i need to do to confine them.

I have some beautiful bantams that are multi-colored with unusual markings. I will have to get some pictures of them. They have are white with red & black specks on them. Plus I have some yellow colored ones with white and black specks. All kinds of color combinations.

I have silkies (black, white, and red)

I have some red layer hens (not sure of the breed), but I want to put them with my rhode island red rooster.

I have a few chickens I am not sure of the breed, i have look into them more.

I also have some other mixed breeds.

So how many square footage, excluding the house should they have? My husband is going to start making new "breeding houses" in our basement so we are ready for spring!

Last edited:
large breed need 4 sqft/bird
small need 2-3 sqft /bird, so

so 1 roo and 3 hens in a 4 x 4 pen would work for the big guys, you could have 7 hens and I roo in the same cage.

Back
Top Bottom