Questions on Coturnix Quail during winter!!

Hello! I have a question. My birds aren't exactly quails but I just wanted to ask how should I keep them warm during winters. I live in Pakistan and it doesn't get too cold but cold enough to wear a thin sweater. Please tell what I can do!
Also, you can put straw down if they are in cages where they are standing on hardwire mesh. I put straw down, they have a nice box they can go inside, with a wind breaker and they actually have a tiny heater for the very cold nights here.

Also, you can put straw down if they are in cages where they are standing on hardwire mesh. I put straw down, they have a nice box they can go inside, with a wind breaker and they actually have a tiny heater for the very cold nights here.
Did you try artificial lighting?

I do it every year, used to use Christmas lights due to very low wattage but now use super low watt LED bulbs. They go on at 7:30am and off at 10:00pm.

The advice about keeping them dry is the single best way to stop them getting cold. Cuddly toys make great warmer-uppers too, just get some from a free site or old toys ☺️

Did you try artificial lighting?

I do it every year, used to use Christmas lights due to very low wattage but now use super low watt LED bulbs. They go on at 7:30am and off at 10:00pm.

The advice about keeping them dry is the single best way to stop them getting cold. Cuddly toys make great warmer-uppers too, just get some from a free site or old toys ☺️
I used their old heat lamps from back when they were in the brooder, until I got them the heaters. It worked well and kept them warm but they started laying eggs again and from what I read, the light causes them to lay eggs, which shortens their lifespan. They don’t have a long lifespan as is, so I chose to not let them keep laying in the winter. Right? It shortens their life?
I haven’t tried the toys thing though, that might be nice to put some fluffy stuffed animals in there so they can cuddle!

I used their old heat lamps from back when they were in the brooder, until I got them the heaters. It worked well and kept them warm but they started laying eggs again and from what I read, the light causes them to lay eggs, which shortens their lifespan. They don’t have a long lifespan as is, so I chose to not let them keep laying in the winter. Right? It shortens their life?
I haven’t tried the toys thing though, that might be nice to put some fluffy stuffed animals in there so they can cuddle!
Yes, making them lay extra will shorten their lifespan. Glad that worked for you though, are they doing fine without the heat lamps? I've never had any issues over winter but my birds are in a well-ventilated shed.

Yes, making them lay extra will shorten their lifespan. Glad that worked for you though, are they doing fine without the heat lamps? I've never had any issues over winter but my birds are in a well-ventilated shed.
Yeah they seem to be doing just fine! I hung a tiny heater on the outside of a cage, next to their sand box and most of them get in there at night to cuddle. Some go into their hut too. They’re guarded from the wind with ventilated areas. The straw gets changed every 2 days.
I wish I had gotten them a little shed honestly instead of the cages but this was my first time and it’s been a learning process! It’s been very fun, they are friendly sweet little things!

Back
Top Bottom