Questions on DE.. Help Please!

I really like to use de in the chicken coops and duck houses it really does help with smell and keeps the bedding dry. I am also taking it have been for about a month. Don't think it's been long enough to say it's working or not. I also use it as a wormer for the flock and the dogs 3 cups to 50lb. of feed mix well.

Quote:
It's true, and oh man does it suck to get in your eyes. If you do get it in there, (as best you can) make a bucket of warm mildly salty water and plunge your head into it one side at a time and blink a bunch. After a few minutes most of it will come out, but expect to have some seriously angry ducts for the next week.

(My toddler jumped into the bag as I was unclamping the top and POOFT! Ouch. .... Alternately, the above method also works when you're too close to the dishwasher powder.
roll.png

I assume that if you use in the coop, that if you use the waste to compost, it will restrict or stop the compost process when you add it to your pile. Correct?

Quote:
I may be incorrect, but i have not read anything to make me think that is true. The d.e.'s drying powers are limited.
lol.png
Once mixed in, (i don't actually have the experience) i will expect it to compost quickly - especially after composting in my coop for a good year.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
big_smile.png

Quote:
There is no reason why it would, since it's 86% Silicon Dioxide, which is the most abundant mineral on the planet.
Its often known by it's more common name, sand

Quote:
There is no reason why it would, since it's 86% Silicon Dioxide, which is the most abundant mineral on the planet.
Its often known by it's more common name, sand

smile.png

My thinking was because the micor-oshells basically cut the micro-organaisms with their shapes, that it would do the same to the critters that create the compost process.

then again, Biology was not my strong suite.

My thinking was because the micor-oshells basically cut the micro-organaisms with their shapes, that it would do the same to the critters that create the compost process.

That might be true if it were dry, but it loses its cutting abilities as soon as it gets too wet.
It kills insects by cutting through their "waxy" coating, and dehydrating them.​

Hope posting on top of this one is ok??? Apology's if I should have started a new thread.

My Question is --- Is DE necessary?

We have a flock of 7 who are 34 wks old. They eat better than most people. We allow them to roam our backyard twice daily, sometimes more often. Still being a newbie to chickens, I'm not clear as to the purpose DE serves. Can anyone help? Thanks

I'm not clear as to the purpose DE serves

It helps absorb moisture, and kills some insects if it's kept dry. Other than that, it does nothing
It's not "necessary" to use it at all.
There are many other ways to handle those two problems

Plain pelletized lime will absorb moisture and neutralize ammonia, and is cheaper than DE.
It has the added benefit of raising the PH of your compost​

Back
Top Bottom