Questions on getting used to there new surroundings?

Shenorman

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2018
So, my questions are, how long does it usually take chickens to get used to there new surroundings.
They haven't figured out yet that they have an upstairs portion of the coop where there nesting boxes are, will they figure it out? And, Iv given treats that they don't eat. Do they all like the same things or how do you introduce them to new foods treat wise?

Attachments

• Dee Dee.jpg
    Dee Dee.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 10
Like people, chickens will have their own likes and dislikes when it comes to food. So it's hit and miss. I've rarely seen a chicken that wouldn't go after meal worms or various softer fruit/veg (Tomatoes, gourd innards, pumpkin innards, cantaloupe, watermelon).
As for how long it will take for them to get used to their new area, in general usually 1-3 days and they are fairly settled in. After a week they are totally comfy.

They should eventually find it, if not then grab a couple and put them up there. They'll find their way down and then know it's there.

I see you just joined yesterday so welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

Terminology can get confusing. The coop is generally the enclosed weather and predator proof area that contains the roosts and nests. The run is the outside area that is typically fenced, giving some protection from predators (though probably not as much as your coop). It looks like you have a third section that is sort of in between. If you close that door and lock them in it has some qualities of both coop and run.

My suggestion is to lock them in that elevated coop section for a while, maybe even a few days if you have feed and water up there. Or otherwise lock them in that coop + small run section for a few days, with food and water. If they are laying now hopefully that will help convince them to lay in the nests. In any case it will help them learn where home is.

Chickens normally like to sleep on the highest point available. Normally we want that in the coop so you can lock them up safe from predators at night. If you do not lock them in that coop section or coop + small run section there is a real good chance they will want to sleep where that chicken is in your photo or even on that board going across if you don't have a wire top on it that I can't see.

That looks like a great area for them. I wish you luck with them!

They should eventually find it, if not then grab a couple and put them up there. They'll find their way down and then know it's there.
Great News!! I locked them in the run/coop yesterday evening and they milled around a bit and let me know they were not happy about what I had done, but eventually they found there way up into the coop and spent the night in there nesting boxes.. sorry if my terminology is wrong. Still learning. Thanks for the advise.

I see you just joined yesterday so welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

Terminology can get confusing. The coop is generally the enclosed weather and predator proof area that contains the roosts and nests. The run is the outside area that is typically fenced, giving some protection from predators (though probably not as much as your coop). It looks like you have a third section that is sort of in between. If you close that door and lock them in it has some qualities of both coop and run.

My suggestion is to lock them in that elevated coop section for a while, maybe even a few days if you have feed and water up there. Or otherwise lock them in that coop + small run section for a few days, with food and water. If they are laying now hopefully that will help convince them to lay in the nests. In any case it will help them learn where home is.

Chickens normally like to sleep on the highest point available. Normally we want that in the coop so you can lock them up safe from predators at night. If you do not lock them in that coop section or coop + small run section there is a real good chance they will want to sleep where that chicken is in your photo or even on that board going across if you don't have a wire top on it that I can't see.

That looks like a great area for them. I wish you luck with them!

Great News!! I locked them in the run/coop yesterday evening and they milled around a bit and let me know they were not happy about what I had done, but eventually they found there way up into the coop and spent the night in there nesting boxes.. sorry if my terminology is wrong. Still learning. Thanks for the advise.

About the coop...chickens prefer to roost in a different location other than nest box. Most chickens use the nest box for laying eggs only. They should have a roosting bar ( or a couple) as well. If you don't have roosting bars..your chickens will be eternally grateful if you would accommodate them. I got the impression from your post that perhaps there are only nesting boxes in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom