Questions on getting used to there new surroundings?

About the coop...chickens prefer to roost in a different location other than nest box. Most chickens use the nest box for laying eggs only. They should have a roosting bar ( or a couple) as well. If you don't have roosting bars..your chickens will be eternally grateful if you would accommodate them. I got the impression from your post that perhaps there are only nesting boxes in the coop?
Well, actually many chicken love to sleep in the nests...
...it's us keepers that are not fond of that. :lol:

Those tiny coops often are not set up well for roosts to be higher than nests,
so you end up with poopy eggs unless you do some modifications...or daily cleaning.
This is one of the best mods I've seen:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134399/help-hens-roosting-in-nest-boxes/10#post_17749535

About the coop...chickens prefer to roost in a different location other than nest box. Most chickens use the nest box for laying eggs only. They should have a roosting bar ( or a couple) as well. If you don't have roosting bars..your chickens will be eternally grateful if you would accommodate them. I got the impression from your post that perhaps there are only nesting boxes in the coop?
There is a roosting bar inside the coop. However, I don't know if they use it. I close up the run part of the coop at about 6 ish. They mill around a bit then go up to bed. Should I check after they've been in there a bit to see if there using it? Btw, I have not gotten any eggs yet. I have only had them for a week. Not sure if that's ok or not.

It's not unusual for hens to go off of egg laying a few days when relocated. How old are they? Moulting? When I 1st put youngsters in the coop, they will often pile up in a corner to sleep but after a few months they naturally begin to roost. Check the roosting bar to insure it is secure..not wobbly. There are tons of pics online to give you ideas on coop designs inside.

It's not unusual for hens to go off of egg laying a few days when relocated. How old are they? Moulting? When I 1st put youngsters in the coop, they will often pile up in a corner to sleep but after a few months they naturally begin to roost. Check the roosting bar to insure it is secure..not wobbly. There are tons of pics online to give you ideas on coop designs inside.
I only have two, right now. Im not sure how old they are, but they are not chicks. They seem pretty young still. They are not molting, still have there feathers intacted. I will get better pictures of them this weekend and post them.

Back
Top Bottom