Questions on growing barley fodder for the first time

briannanoelle1

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
We're experimenting with growing our own fodder to reduce the cost of chicken feed, but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how much I should grow for our 6 young girls!!

We bought 6 small bins and drilled holes in the bottom. Right now I am soaking 2 cups of whole barley in mason jars with water and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

So I have a few questions.

1. How much fodder should I grow for 6 hens?

2. How much fodder will 2 cups or dry barley yield in fodder approx?

3. Since fodder is more of a supplement, how much laying mash should I provide in addition per day?

4. How much light should I give the growing fodder?

5. Does ACV really stunt the growth of fodder?

6. Others soak with a splash of bleach or peroxide, is that harmful to the girls?

Any other advice or answers to my questions is very much appreciated!!
yippiechickie.gif

BTW we have 2 White Leghorns, 3 Ameraucana's, and 1 Rhode Island Red.
5 of them just turned a year old this month, 2/2017 and our RIR will be 1 year in 4/2017.

We're experimenting with growing our own fodder to reduce the cost of chicken feed, but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how much I should grow for our 6 young girls!!

We bought 6 small bins and drilled holes in the bottom. Right now I am soaking 2 cups of whole barley in mason jars with water and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

So I have a few questions.

1. How much fodder should I grow for 6 hens?

2. How much fodder will 2 cups or dry barley yield in fodder approx?

3. Since fodder is more of a supplement, how much laying mash should I provide in addition per day?

4. How much light should I give the growing fodder?

5. Does ACV really stunt the growth of fodder?

6. Others soak with a splash of bleach or peroxide, is that harmful to the girls?

Any other advice or answers to my questions is very much appreciated!!
yippiechickie.gif

BTW we have 2 White Leghorns, 3 Ameraucana's, and 1 Rhode Island Red.
5 of them just turned a year old this month, 2/2017 and our RIR will be 1 year in 4/2017.

OK, I never used ACV but have heard of people that do. I would suggest you grow some fodder and give it to them. Monitor if they eat it all or leave some per day---that will tell you if you need to grow more or less. I fed fodder as well as layer feed----they need more than fodder for sure to lay good. I did sun flower seed fodder too. I quit with it---because where I live I have some greens year round I can either gather or allow them to free range. I plant collards, and I can plant winter rye in separated pens to let them in for a little while----they love those things.

Fodder does not need a Bright light at all.

About 1/4 cup dry barley/wheat or whole oats per bird per day, then sprout that amount and let grow to fodder. Seven days, seven trays. S-M-T-W-T-F-S

Then you do as Riverman does, or something like it. Trays stacked vertically and allowed to drain to the one below it. Enough room between them to allow in some light and room for the upright growth, so about 4 inches or more.

BTW, this supplements feed, but does not replace it. Leave them free choice access to their regular feed at all times.

Wanted to add that I have six chix like you, so they get in addition to their fermented feed, a nightly snack of barley fodder.

They get about a couple cups of barley fodder per day....comes from a half cup of barley seeds. I feed them in the evening so their crops are full before bed. I have checked their crops and they seem to be full after eating the fodder! Seems to work just fine.

About 1/4 cup dry barley/wheat or whole oats per bird per day,
Just found this. Thank you for the quantity per bird. I've been winging it. I just threw away two trays (one boss and one barley) because they developed mold. I've been pretty successful on lentils and mung beans. I'll try barley and BOSS using bleach to kill the spores.

Back
Top Bottom