Questions on incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daku neko, Jun 13, 2011.

1. daku neko

daku neko New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Okay so ive just started incubating and i have a few questions, for starters i have one egg ive been checking with a flashlight and i was wondering is checking it every 2-3 days too much? could i shake it up and kill it? (being very careful when checking it). When i got the eggs they we're laid just in the morning they we're a bit cold (maybe 70 degrees) is it to could to incubate them?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I have kept eggs for up to 10 days at 65 to 70 degrees before I have put them in the incubator and had good hatches. Usually I collect the eggs I want to hatch for 3 or 4 days then put them in the incubator. The longer they set out the less viable they can become so I don't set any eggs that I have collected beyond 10 days and usually it is within 5 days. I don't handle the eggs too much. I candle at day 10 and sometimes again at day 18 when I take them out of the turner and set them for hatching. Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. daku neko

daku neko New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you, Today some of the eggs started hatching..they are crossbreed with americana chicken and red hamshire chickens

4. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG] and to the addicting hobby of hatching chickens [​IMG]

5. seramasrus

seramasrus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Arden, NC
    I have held eggs up to 8 to 10 days turning them once a day at room temp, before I incubate them and still have a great hatch rate. I check them about a week after I put them in to see if they are good or not, then after that I leave them alone until they start hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by